Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Another blown head gasket wtf

Just blew 2 new Head Gaskets in 1 weekend

A few months ago I was loosing coolent out of Coolent Bottle overflow tube under boost, I was running 2Rude, Closed Loop Cooling, Riva Block Gaurd & Stock Head Bolts. We found blown head gasket & head and block required machining, we did this & replaced rings & bearings at the same time.

Since then I've upgraded to 3Rude, JD Open Loop Cooling & Riva Open Loop Ride Plate & set back pump.

Got ski going last week after having the above mods installed, engine breathed real hard & lost alot of oil out of catch can, changed oil & ran again & it blew head gasket, water in oil very milky.

Took head off, another blown head gasket leaking on exhaust valve side of head face around centre cylinder (hottest point).

Head was pretty good only 3 thou low at that point, replaced with new head gasket which we copper coated, that afternoon I ran again & it blew the yellow oil filler cap off (has anyone experienced that?) crankcase must have some serious pressure in it. Could there be problems with Crankcase Evacuation system?

The following day the new Head Gasket blew again

I don't know if it has anything to do with the open loop set up but I suspect not as it did it when I used to run closed loop.

I run a 71 degree thermostat with Open Loop Cooling & engine temps are good between 71 - 76 degrees.

We are going to do a Leak Down Test & Pressure Check Oil Cooler does anyone have any other thoughts?

The Engine Builder whom re-built the Engine last time didn't like our Open Deck Blocks and said they can walk around causing head Gasket Issues, he thought my riva Block Guard was an attempt to fix a real design flaw with the Open Deck Block that didn't really fix the problem of walking. He's seen it before with Honda & Subaru Vehicle engines which have Open Deck Blocks and give Head Gasket problems.

He favoured Closed Deck Block & reccomended Darton Sleeves & .5" Head Studs to stop the cylinders walking.

My Head Porter noticed where I had the 3 thou localised recession in the head surface there was not alot of suppot underneath, this is in the water gallery area next to the centre cylinder exhaust valve. He suggested drilling & screwing in Alloy Plugs in the Head Face which would bottom out in the water gallery to act as a piller & give the head more strength to stop flexing. He suggested installing the alloy plugs along bloth sides of the head.

I'm only running 15psi with Rude3 at 8500 & understand alot of others are running simalar boost levels without issue. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I see there is a Cylinder Jet Oil Pressure Jet upgrade for 03 - 05 engines would this help?

Also has anyone noticed your coils lifting on WOT runs pinging off the plastic rocker cover shield, its as if pressure or heat is pushing them up.

Cheers

Just a thought have u checked your afr to make sure your not running lean causing high cylinder temps and blowing head gasket.
    Have seen this happen before on a few cars i have worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by damo.r View Post
    Just a thought have u checked your afr to make sure your not running lean causing high cylinder temps and blowing head gasket.
    Have seen this happen before on a few cars i have worked on.
    Yeah, was running a Lamda Meter & AFR was between 11.8 & 12.1 so all good there, I'm running 50 lbs Injectors, Riva ECU, Walbro GSS355 Fuel pump & RRFR.

Only other thing I thought of was could it be detonating, spark plugs look fine though.
    Last edited by Grinder; 11-04-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    the recomendation from your engine builder is BS, as i run many engines with way more compression and more boost, I have never headqasket issues, all engines are open loop, waterthemp 56 C. your engine builder is making something wrong. I allways use stock headbolts and stock headgasket. what year is your block ?

Did it blow again on the same cylinder if so check the injector.

+1
    You mention you are using head studs. What did you torque them to?

+1

oil filler cap

a faulty tops valve can cause excessive pressure ( puking oil and lifting oil filler stick). water in oil does not necessarly be a cause of a leaking gasket. you can have a leaking oil cooler or a waterpump seal go bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    a faulty tops valve can cause excessive pressure ( puking oil and lifting oil filler stick). water in oil does not necessarly be a cause of a leaking gasket. you can have a leaking oil cooler or a waterpump seal go bad.

That is what I was gonna say. I have seen one do this to me. New valve and the dipstick stayed put. It would push it out until it hit the seat.

+1
    May want to check the water pressure in your open loop set up. Figure the OEM set up is running @ about 13 PSI.

+1
    Also if I am not mistaken if you do not have the RR oil pressure jet then you are starving the top end for oil.

That part is sort of required on anything over stock I thought?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information