f/a's and alignment tool

looking for some cheap ways to increase take off and top end . i am wondering aboout opening up the f/a . would this mean i have to adjust the oil flow?? i have never worked on the carbs on either of my machines but am thinking it can't be much of an adjustment . will this make a difference ?? or is even worth it ?? my thinking is more air , more power ???

also am looking at changing both of my stock props and have heard talk of an alignment tool . also remember some one saying that if you take out certain bolts vs others you don't need the tool . can any one offer some clearity for me ?? and maybe recommend props for both the 1050 , and 1200 !!
    or offer other small cheap ideas that can help my machines ??? kind of ruled out tripple pipes because of the cost .

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    One of the things that I have heard of that help BOTH the low end power and the top end speed is a thing called 'Adjust-A-Thrust' (or something like that). It is basically a self adjusting pump cone that starts off with large flow for a hard launch, then when up to speed it moves towards the nozzle opening which increases velocity for top end speed. I do not have any experience with these, but others have had great success.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bossdog67 View Post
    looking for some cheap ways to increase take off and top end . i am wondering about opening up the f/a . would this mean i have to adjust the oil flow??

I have never worked on the carbs on either of my machines but am thinking it can't be much of an adjustment . will this make a difference ?? or is even worth it ?? my thinking is more air , more power ???

also am looking at changing both of my stock props and have heard talk of an alignment tool . also remember some one saying that if you take out certain bolts vs others you don't need the tool . can any one offer some clarity for me ?...

or offer other small cheap ideas that can help my machines ??? kind of ruled out triple pipes because of the cost .
    The stock domestic engine flame arrestor actually flows air fairly well. There might be a small incremental difference with a very good aftermarket flame arrestor, but you may not be able to even feel it.

Changing the intake air flow does not require any change to the oil flow.

You might, if the flame arrestor is changed, need to tweak the fuel:air mixture screws. In an extreme case, the high speed jetting may need to be bumped up.

There are a number of ways to significantly boost engine power. Two that come to mind are boosting compression which increases power and torque across the RPM range (if you are OK using premium grade gasoline), and having the cylinders 'ported'.

Porting can boost upper RPM engine power significantly. Unless you know what you are doing, pay an expert to port your cylinders. Incorrect porting can provide weaker gains, or even make the engine run worse.

A ported engine will probably require changes to the carbs. This is not particularly hard, just something that takes some time until you find the correct combination of carburetor jet sizes and adjustment screws.

Related to porting is port matching the exhaust manifold to the cylinders, to ensure there are no edges, lips, or sudden transitions to impede the flow of exhaust gases.

If you do not remove the engine, there is generally no worry about the engine to jet pump alignment. Changing impellers does not affect the alignment, since the jet pump will re-assemble in exactly the same position it came out from.

A better impeller can make a measurable difference. Also, a bigger five or six degree wedge on the jet pump can lift the bow, which increases top speed. I think the stock wedge on the Virage is four degrees.

Note: Too much wedge will make the hull bouncy at speed on rough/choppy waters.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

bang for the buck

leave everything alone except replace the reed petals with light tension carbon tech ones,while the carbs are off swap out all the grey fuel line,you'll be amazed at the difference the petals make,and welcome to the dark side

i like the idea of the reed petals , i am replacing all fuel ines on my tx this spring and thinking of tearing the carbs apart to clean out green goo ( if i have any ) . so where do i find these mythical creatures ????? also best spot for carb rebuild kits ???? both tripples !!

also plan on doing both props . lokks like solas makes some good high performance ones .....any body got one for sale for either the 1200 or 1050 ????

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

petals

brian at ultimate watercraft or randy at watcon or direct from carbon tech #318lt should be the #.

Thread Information