Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have some ?'s about what exactly it takes to put a 951 in x4

Okay so my xp was running really good. It has like new compression but from looking into the rotory valve i can tell it had water or somthing that sat in it for a while. So in the spring i was planning pulling it inspecting it and rebuilding it and do some mods to it. Then i also thought about a 951 swap. Im sitting here sick reading about this. Is there any way to still use my old wiring/mpem or so i need a different wiring all togather? Also i know u need to make a new front mount. What i'm really trying to find out if sombody that has done this could sum up what all needs to be done to do this. If sombody could do that would be great.

Thanks.

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar

What are you guys looking at for top speed with a stock 951?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    solid 62-65 mph

heres my thread. I used the 800 electronics with a MSD enhancer
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91876

It doesnt look as bad as i thought. If you guys dont mind about how much did it coast you to do this?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    id say that I put at least $4,000 into it.

400 crank
    300 msd
    200 pistons
    100 bore
    100 pump
    50 fuel lines
    50 wear ring
    200 + mis parts

So there is $1400 in just replacement parts. Add that to the price of your donor ski.

The biggest problem is finding a motor or donor ski. Those can be $1000 easy with a blown motor.

I hit 61.9 so far on slight chop open lake. I have all stock with proks and rejet.

The boat jumps like crazy. Also you can't go wot from a stand still because the boat won't stay in the water. The mid range is amazing...

lots of info here ask as you need.

dean

ps if you do it, start early in the winter. You will run into many small problems with items fitting. Lots of trim and test.

+1
    Winter's coming on, so start hitting all the auction and classified sites and try to find a cheap, running 951 based ski, 99 and newer if you want to use newer electronics, 98 (or at least a 98 mag cup) if you use the 96 XP electronics. An RX or GSX-L is the best as you can transfer everything over and won't have to buy an enhancer. If all you get is the engine, then the enhancer works well, too.

Read through my thread, it outlines just about everything you need to know to do it with a donor ski. I did a lot of extra stuff to the hull that you won't necessarily need to do, which will save you a lot of time.

I'd like to have more HP for this setup, but it'll do for now. I figure it's putting out about 145HP as it is. A Miller BB engine would be ideal. As it is, it's a blast to ride, and makes a great winter project. I'd like to have ridden it more, but it's been a crappy fall for Dooing. I did a piss-poor job of tracking the cost, but I suspect a fellow can do it for under $2000 with careful buying. Do all the work yourself, there's more fun & pride in that, as well as a huge cost savings.

Well it's a 951 swap or fix up the 800 and mod it a little. I would love to do the 951 swap but i was also planning on doing alot of work on my other hobby this winter. My jeep. If i go the 800 way im buying a rossier,miicro touch and msd water injection from a guy on here. Now i just need to decide what to do.

IMO, not remotely worth it Connor. Just my .02. Costly project, lots of fab work.. and youll go faster for less money with something else.
    The X4 is a wave jumper, not a speedster. Leave it alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information