+1

Early 4tec valve guides converted

I am not an expert on 4tec engines, but I accomplished something that may prove helpful to someone, and now that I have run it for 25 - 30 hours, it has proven itself

If you came across an early head from a 2001 - 2003 (I think) engine, you will see that you cannot install the late valve stem seals, and subsequently you cannot for example use the riva valve train upgrade kit, as it will not fit over the early guide and stem seal.

I machined a tool that pilots off the guide and in one shot will machine the guide to accept the late style components. If anyone is in need of this service, contact me.

I do not know if there are any other differences in the heads, but I am running a 2001 4tec head on a 2005 engine in my turbo GTI with no problems.

You could just have the guides changed, but they are so expensive, it makes it not cost effective, and if you change the guides you need to have the valve seats cut, and the installed heights of the valves adjusted. SO what I did takes out those steps, and brings some more head options to the table.

FOr what it's worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Machine guides.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	515.0 KB 
ID:	158138  

+1
    also generally a early NA 4tec head is a virgin as far as condition goes !!!

+1
    Nice conversion,i didnt know this could be done.
    I think you saved yourself a lot of $$$$,on the rebuild.
    Must be solid ,after the hrs you put on the engine.

+1
    The reason I did it was that I wanted to try some different porting, but I did not want to machine on my primary race head and then it not work out..

I had this 2001 head, but the guides were wrong, so I fabricated the tool (I am a machinist by trade) and corrected the guides, then went ahead with the testing. The test was successful, so I left the head on there.

It has done 2 races including Worlds, and 6 testing days here in florida. So I just wanted to share that if you are looking for a head to replace a damaged or warped head, the early NA heads are an option, and I have seen them go cheap. I brought this one on ebay for 150$ bare.

+1
    Nice work...............

+1
    Louis, have you tried valve guides from SBT? I just ordered a set of 6 valve guides for $4.95 ea

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...oduct_Count=44

They came to like $42 and change shipped. When I got them there was all 12 in the box. They look just like the factory ones in my 04 head. Getting them installed this week with a valve job.

Thread Information