what 4tec parts are interchangeable?

what years of 4tec parts will work together and what will not? like the ecu,fuel pump, gauges, harness ,and motor?also what is the difference in the 185hp, 215hp,and 255hp 4tecs other than the power? and how do tell them apart if the are out of the ski?

Ive also been wondering the same thing. ITD be nice to put a 255 in my 215

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridGPR View Post
    what years of 4tec parts will work together and what will not? like the ecu,fuel pump, gauges, harness ,and motor?also what is the difference in the 185hp, 215hp,and 255hp 4tecs other than the power? and how do tell them apart if the are out of the ski?
    that's a very winded question..... probably looking at a 2 page WORD document if you wanted a thorough explanation.

very vaguely... and i mean very...

difference between 185 and 215 motor....
    185 has cast pistons 215 is forged pistons
    185 turns the SC slower (different overdrive gears)
    185 has lower rev limit than 215

typically...for the most part... everything 4-tec 2002-2005 is interchangeable as far as cranks, electronics, gauges

every single 4-tec motor... whether 130, 155, 185, 215, 255 uses the same cases and head castings... they also use the same rods, same cranks... EXCEPT that 2006 and newer models re-pinned the location of the crank position sensor which means the crank itself is pinned differently than 2005 and prior machines as well as the PTO cover is different due to sensor location.

2006 and newer get the recent gauges...
    2005 and older get the older gauges... but some gauges (like the low HP base models) wont show rpms all the way to 8K plus....

2006 + models eliminated the electronic TOPS valve on the front separator cover and moved the vent to the access cover on the side of the head where the cam slides in... 2005 and older models had that hokey contraption on the front cover (near the oil filler)

ok enough typing for me so far.... i come back later maybe. someone else can start filling in the blanks. we have many more pages to go

if ur just looking to replaced a part on your ski, ask we can help...

if you are looking to piece-meal a project together and get all the parts that will work and think together... you are in for a nightmare unless you have a next door neighbor that is a 4-tec expert... otherwise you will be spending all your valueable time here asking questions before you buy every used nut and bolt. buy a running ski and rip it apart is my strongest advice IF its for a project

I've been looking for a rxt and was told that the 05 and earlier would drop valves supposedly this was corrected in 06 I have noticed the 05's are alot cheaper than 06's Is this valid and why do the valves fail? Several of the 05's I looked at had new engines owners didnt know if the head was updated. none of these were sc failures. In fact most of the skis I've looked at the owners didn't know of the sc washer problem.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I've been looking for a rxt and was told that the 05 and earlier would drop valves supposedly this was corrected in 06 I have noticed the 05's are alot cheaper than 06's Is this valid and why do the valves fail? Several of the 05's I looked at had new engines owners didnt know if the head was updated. none of these were sc failures. In fact most of the skis I've looked at the owners didn't know of the sc washer problem.
    The 06 and up motors have updated exhaust valves. Those valves can be installed in the 05 head. I feel that most dropped valve issues are caused from letting the ski sit, and or improper winterization (whatever that is )... causing the valve stems to corrode. I have 190 hard hours on an 05... with no valve issues, but the ski never sits. It's ridden year round. IMO... the worst thing you can do is let these things just sit!

Banned User
    Is there a difference in the 185 cam and 215 cam?

Thread Information