What are wires on stock air intake?

I've been thinking about upgrading my air intake and was looking at the stock setup. Can anyone tell me what these wires are going into the top of the stock intake box? My guess would be maybe a temp and airflow sensor, but I haven't looked inside yet. The service manual doesn't show these.

How are these handled when setting up a new, less restrictive intake?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	158176  

+1
    All that plastic air intake crap gets removed and the electrical box gets moved. The wires connect to the display on the hood, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RightOnTarget1 View Post
    I've been thinking about upgrading my air intake and was looking at the stock setup. Can anyone tell me what these wires are going into the top of the stock intake box? My guess would be maybe a temp and airflow sensor, but I haven't looked inside yet. The service manual doesn't show these.

How are these handled when setting up a new, less restrictive intake?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Rectifier; converts AC/DC power, and gets very hot. It's in the airbox to provide a cool flow of air over its fins. Electrical gremlins appear if it is allowed to get too hot. I utilize my stock intake in conjunction with my modified one, to keep it where it is. Others mount it in various places around the engine bay, with various degrees of success.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Rectifier; converts AC/DC power, and gets very hot. It's in the airbox to provide a cool flow of air over its fins. Electrical gremlins appear if it is allowed to get too hot. I utilize my stock intake in conjunction with my modified one, to keep it where it is. Others mount it in various places around the engine bay, with various degrees of success.
    could you mount it in the hole on the left side, where the blower is but on the left side witch would let cooler air at it.

i just got the riva intake it fits good and the air filter is high off the bottom the filter was a little tight to get on because of the gas tank but it fits and has a nice bracket to hold the tube, it is a little hard to mount the bracket for the tube. and it comes with a bracket for that electric box i screwed it right to the bar that holds the stock air box

the riva intake is like $240 i got a used one like new on ebay for $140

be for that i had a home made one on it with a k&n from autozone and the metel on the filter and everything i used rusted

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Ahh. I've been reading a lot of your excellent work. I wondered why you left the stock intake. I thought it was just for additional flow area. Do you have any idea how much flow goes which way?

Do you know where the temp sensor is that is displayed in the inst panel?

I've also been wanting to ask you about the ET-68-140 supercharger you have. I haven't been able to find it. Who makes it?

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    could you mount it in the hole on the left side, where the blower is but on the left side witch would let cooler air at it.
    I wouldn't, it needs to be protected from water too.

Quote Originally Posted by RightOnTarget1 View Post
    Ahh. I've been reading a lot of your excellent work. I wondered why you left the stock intake. I thought it was just for additional flow area. Do you have any idea how much flow goes which way?

Do you know where the temp sensor is that is displayed in the inst panel?

I've also been wanting to ask you about the ET-68-140 supercharger you have. I haven't been able to find it. Who makes it?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I still utilize the stock intake for the sake of the rectifier, and in addition, I believe the oil blow-off needs a bit of vacuum, rather than just a catch-can. I don't believe it really adds anything extra to the airflow, because a "Y" adaptor combines it all into a single 4" tube. I think it's safe to say the ET-68-140, and superchargers like it, require twice the air intake as the stock charger, so with the "Y" connection, the stock intake path is probably seeing close to the flow as it did stock.

There is a temperature sensor display in the lower right-side of the instruments, but it only tells you the outside water temp. The higher that number goes, the lower your engine's performance, especially with an external intercooler. In Florida in the summer, it always seems to be over 90F, and kills performance. I use a huge dual-core intercooler, and it still doesn't help much in bathwater. The only other temperature display, would be a warning code "P0544" displayed if the exhaust gets to hot from the engine running lean, or your water intake getting clogged. I highly recommend a strainer, even for the stock IC, because it's such a PITA to take out and flush.

The ET-68-140 is sold by Racetech powersports. You can find them from time to time on the classifieds here.

Thanks!

Thread Information