+1

Any one an computer expert?

I consider myself well seated in the computer world and have fix many problems myself, and have build quite a few systems. But now i am stumped on a problem.

I had a breaker trip the other day while on my computer and i shut off. No big deal it has happened before. Well my computer wont turn on, and what
    I mean by that is that it wont even post. Hit the button and nothing. I have tried everything I can think of, swapped out the vid card, unseated the ram, re-seated the ram, disconnect every power cable then re-connect them, tried a different power supply hooked up to just the board. Nothing. I check the panel connector on the board looked right, but disconnected them all and re-connected them all just to be safe. Still nothing.

What gets me is that the mobo light is on telling me its getting power and the card reader lights up to (getting power from usb cable attached to mobo). Im just at a loss of what is going on. I hate to go buy all new internals just to find out its a stupid little problem.

Any Help will be appricated, Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like either the power supply or the mainboard (or both) has succumbed to a power line voltage spike.

When you tried an alternate power supply, was it of the correct rating and type for that mainboard?
    And you connected all the mainboard power connectors to the other power supply?

If yes to the above, then the mainboard may well have been damaged.

Do you not have a UPS or at least a surge suppressor on your computer's AC power feed?

Is there an electric motor, fridge, or freezer on the same breaker as your computer? Those can spike the power line badly when the power is suddenly cut.

+1
    ups no, surge protector yes. The computer is in the living room, not sure what tripped the breaker.

Added info, I changed the CMOS jumper and it posted and booted up. I didnt catch it in time to enter the bios and i got OS will not boot. Restarted it and it will not power on again. Tired changing the CMOS jumper back and fourth still nothing thought I had running but no more issues.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I had this happen to me...its a smoked mother board. I was getting power to the USB's and the battery light was flashing. the HD was wanting to boot but never engaged. black screen all day long no picture/power.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    ...Added info, I changed the CMOS jumper and it posted and booted up.

I didnt catch it in time to enter the bios and i got OS will not boot. Restarted it and it will not power on again.

Tired changing the CMOS jumper back and fourth still nothing thought I had running but no more issues.
    Look at the manual for that mainboard. There is a specific sequence for using the CMOS reset jumper.

With the CMOS reset, you may need to use the BIOS to configure the hard drive settings for boot.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the ground on your motherboard. They can, and do come loose, and it may have just been a coincedence. Also check the ground on the P.S., do a hard reset of the BIOS.

If you've already changed power supplies, and the light on the MB lights up, I'd say you might have a corrupt BIOS. That can be bad, since it's on an EEPROM.

What M.B. are you running, and which power suppies to do you have? I assume we're talking PC here.

I've built every one of my PC's since the early 90's, and have only run across this problem once. And guess what it was?? It was a bad power supply. The MB lit up, but the computer wouldn't power up. It was so frustrating to finally have everything together, only to have to wait another week, for another PS, which immediately fixed the problem.

+1
    The board is a Asus A8N-SLI Premium. PS is a Antec 500w.

On the CMOS clear jumper all you need to do is switch it from points 1+2 to point 2+3 (from what the book says). Let it sit for a few secs then switch it back. Im going to attempt to try it again. But i have a funny feeling that im going to have to replace everything (since they no longer make that socket type anymore).

Banned User
    +1
    Like I said, my finger would point at the power supplies.
    I got one for ya. I had an "old" water cooled, computer that I had buit about 4 years ago. New game comes out, and I still have AGP socket for the graphics. Now I had an older Radeon card, that cost me a fortune back then, and of course it was water cooled.

So, I pull out the old Radeon card, and I'm in the process if removing the water cooling on it, since the new card will be stricly air cooled. Well, I spilled some water on the MB. No big deal, I thought I dried it pretty good.

Installed the new video card, and I'm ready to rock and roll. Fire everything up, and almost immediately, smoke comes pouring out of the computer, soon followed by flames!!!!! I yanked the power cord out of the wall, pulled the side panel off, and blew the flames out.

I guess some water got into the contacts for the sound card, and ethernet card.

Long story short, I was on a laptop for about 2 months until I was able to review all the parts I wanted, buy them, and put the new computer together. $4000 later, I have a state of the art computer, with 30" LCD monitor. Dual Crossfire ATI(4870's X2, 1gb ram each), Pentium E8600 3.4 Ghz processor, 32Gb of super fast ram, and a terrabyte or two of fast hard drives. All of it is on water cooling, and I put everything together myself.

The hardest part, besides chosing all the parts, was assembling the water cooling. I thought I wouldn't go back to water cooling, but, I tend to overclock everything, and the fans were just to noisy. The only problem I have had with water cooling, was a leak I created.

Now my computer will still heat the room up real good, but, it's very quiet. I tend not to over clock anymore, because I haven't found that I need to. I also run Vista 64, and WinXP 32 on a dual boot. And, I back up everything once a week.

To me, building a fast computer is no different than building a fast PWC. I have just as much fun, and the costs are really not bad. It doesn't take a whole lot of knowledge, and you save a ton of money, and still get the fastest computer.

+1
    Got everything sorted out for now. CMOS was corrupted had to clear it and then reset the BIOS. To think it was something this lame.

Get a UPS. you can pick a smaller one up for around $50. Those cheep surge protectors are not worth plugging in.

Thread Information