Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

951 X4...Take #5

started on my project about a week ago after i got done tearing down my donor ski (98 gsxl). i am useing a 95xp which had the 717 motor in it. so i had to fiberglass in 3 new motor mounts while also cutting out 2 of the old mounts and some of inner hull. i might also have to cut out more of the inner hull around the front right old mount to make the pipe fit.

today, i finished the 951 mounts and the engine alinement is not perfect, but i can work with it for now. i will get it closer when i complete the ski. not too bad for having to do it from scratch.

now i have to give credit to ziggy, dean, airborn, and joe stang for their builds. they gave me me the inspiration to attempt this myself. also they figured it all out first so all i have to do is copy their work.

now i have my first 2 questions for them.

1. which gas tank and fuel baffel did you use? the oringal tank or the bigger donor tank?
    2. what did you guys do for gauges?

UPDATE. this is what the ski looks like now(12/18/10). gpsing in at 61 with a few issues to fix motor wise. now to reach for 70.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0522.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	158256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0526.JPG 
Views:	452 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	158257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0532.JPG 
Views:	435 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	158258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0545.JPG 
Views:	476 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	158259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0546.JPG 
Views:	431 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	158260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	224245  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	224246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	751.6 KB 
ID:	224247  
    Last edited by mibunkerking; 12-18-2010 at 09:11 AM.

I think everyone used the xp tank, not the donor tank.

Fuel baffle, i think nick and ziggy up graded to the 951 baffle that has bigger lines. There is only one that will fit into the tank (some one jump in) can't recall which one it was. (it was hard to find and expensive lol)

For me I extended the main on line in the baffle with a small tube. Then I joined (T'ed) the two lines coming out of the res. and on and used that as the main supply line. This worked well for me (although no res or fuel selector)

Keep the questions coming GL

I wish i would have finished my website for this project...maybe ill look back into it.

dean

http://sites.google.com/site/951into96xp/

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I used the stock fuel tank but used the fuel baffle out of a 99 SPX. good luck finding one, I had to buy mine new at the online store. its $130 bucks.

I ran the 800 electronics with an enhancer...stock multi gauge is the only one I have.

Dont forget to talk to Mongoose2 and Tweeker...I think that these two built the first one, but i could be wrong

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    For me I extended the main on line in the baffle with a small tube. Then I joined (T'ed) the two lines coming out of the res. and on and used that as the main supply line. This worked well for me (although no res or fuel selector)

I wish i would have finished my website for this project...maybe ill look back into it.

dean

http://sites.google.com/site/951into96xp/
    that may be the way i end going. i was thinking of cutting the gsxl down enough to make it fit. dont really care if the gas gauge works.

i remember looking at that site before. i am surprised that you have not finished it.

thanks for the support guys. i know there will be tons of questions.

+1
    the fuel baffle from a 98 or 99 SPX will work, I got lucky and found one on ebay for $50.

Im using stock electronics with the MSD Enhancer.... But since you used a 95, that had the 720 engine, you would either have to get all the 96xp electronics, or swap everything to the 951 electronics. I dont believe you can use the 720 electronics, but someone jump in if I am wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    the fuel baffle from a 98 or 99 SPX will work, I got lucky and found one on ebay for $50.
    +1
    I got even luckier and got one for $20 shipped because the fuse had blown. Did the solder-bridge repair & it works great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    that may be the way i end going. i was thinking of cutting the gsxl down enough to make it fit. dont really care if the gas gauge works.
    I did that at first, ended up looking kinda "rigged" so I went with the 98/99 SPX baffle instead. Much better.

The GSX-L sender would have worked fine except for the level indicators being a bit off. I cut the body and circuit board to length and then cut the reserve passage to match the length of the XP sender. The end cap was secured with an aluminum tab. See pic.

Name:	Sending unit fuse repair 3.JPG 
Views:	629 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	158363  

+1
    Since you have a donor GSX-L, definitely use the electronics from it. Best way IMO, and you don't have to go looking for anything. I've attached a pic of my gauge arrangement. The single centered gauge is where I got the name "Psyclops" for the ski.

Name:	DSCF0110.JPG 
Views:	768 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	158364  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I did that at first, ended up looking kinda "rigged" so I went with the 98/99 SPX baffle instead. Much better.

The GSX-L sender would have worked fine except for the level indicators being a bit off. I cut the body and circuit board to length and then cut the reserve passage to match the length of the XP sender. The end cap was secured with an aluminum tab. See pic.
    that was basically what i was going to do. so fundamentaly it should work. i will take a closer look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Since you have a donor GSX-L, definitely use the electronics from it. Best way IMO, and you don't have to go looking for anything. I've attached a pic of my gauge arrangement. The single centered gauge is where I got the name "Psyclops" for the ski.
    yeah i am using the 951 electronics. i just finished mounting the mpem in the nose. will get a pic tomorrow.

i want this ski to look semi stock so i will stick with the stock 95 hood. i am stuck on where to put the guages though as they are twice the size of the old ones. the best place i can think of is in the mirror coves. it will be a tight fit but i think it will work. either that or cut up the hood and glass up a bigger deflector and mount them in the stock spots. will get a pic to show you what i mean tomorrow.

i am also going to put the handle bar pad and cover from the gsxl onto the bars as i like them better than 95's, and it already has a spots for the DESS, mode/set buttons, the choke. will look funky until i get it painted to match the ski. the problem i am running into is that i will have to cut and recrimp the harness as nothing will fit down the much smaller steering collum. fun fun fun....

2 more questions.

1. what did you guys do for the exhaust outlet??
    2. on 951 plug wires, which boot goes to which cylinder? the shorter one go to the mag or pto?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

1. what did you guys do for the exhaust outlet??
    2. on 951 plug wires, which boot goes to which cylinder? the shorter one go to the mag or pto?
    i used the stock outlet. I built a cross pipe like Ziggys. as for the plug wires i dont think that it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information