Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ski Flipped Over, found water around Coil Tubes???

Hi
    About a month ago I was jumping waves and had an accident where I broke my ankle very badly. Was thrown off the ski and ski rolled in the surf a couple of time until one of my buddies was able to rescue it and turn it over. It started right up and they were able to tow it back to the marina and put it on a sport port as I was carted off in the ambulance. The ski sat untouched from that day. a couple of weeks ago they took it from the marina and delivered it to my house where it sat until yesterday.Yesterday i flushed the ski and it started right up on the hose was a bit cold but idled fine. After that I started to winterize as i went to take spark plug coils off i notice it was hard to get them out, when i pulled them out i realized there was salt on the rubber boot, as i took the plugs out i notice some water on the spark plug wrench. there was obviously a bit of water down in the spark plug holes. well needless to say when the plugs came out the water went in. maybe a teaspoon in each cylinder if that much.I immediately sprayed a shitload of fog oil in each cylinder, dried the plugs off and reinstalled plugs and coils, i then cranked the engine a few times with out turning over.completed the rest of the winterization. Do you think that little bit of water will be a problem over the winter or when I open up the ski in the sping????

Quote Originally Posted by steeevo66 View Post
    Hi
    About a month ago I was jumping waves and had an accident where I broke my ankle very badly. Was thrown off the ski and ski rolled in the surf a couple of time until one of my buddies was able to rescue it and turn it over. It started right up and they were able to tow it back to the marina and put it on a sport port as I was carted off in the ambulance. The ski sat untouched from that day. a couple of weeks ago they took it from the marina and delivered it to my house where it sat until yesterday.Yesterday i flushed the ski and it started right up on the hose was a bit cold but idled fine. After that I started to winterize as i went to take spark plug coils off i notice it was hard to get them out, when i pulled them out i realized there was salt on the rubber boot, as i took the plugs out i notice some water on the spark plug wrench. there was obviously a bit of water down in the spark plug holes. well needless to say when the plugs came out the water went in. maybe a teaspoon in each cylinder if that much.I immediately sprayed a shitload of fog oil in each cylinder, dried the plugs off and reinstalled plugs and coils, i then cranked the engine a few times with out turning over.completed the rest of the winterization. Do you think that little bit of water will be a problem over the winter or when I open up the ski in the sping????

generally you would have an air hose to blow off any debris around the spark plug wells before removal, or a vacuum cleaner to suck anything away. I would just start the ski up as you normally would do when flushing, and repeat. after cool down, resume winterizing... make sure you have all the water out of all the electrical connections and anywhere possible it might lye. How is the battery connections? did the storage area get filled up as well?

rule of thumb, don`t remove spark plugs from hot alum cylinder head, wait till cool, and use antiseize on the threads when reinstalling new plugs.

+1
    Thanks Andy,
    I tried to suck the water out once i realize it but couldnt get it. Tried with a rag and small screw driver as well. I dont think the storage had filled up.But I did rinse the hull and storage with fresh water and the sprayed down with fluid film.

Thanks Andy,
    I tried to suck the water out once i realize it but couldnt get it. Tried with a rag and small screw driver as well. I dont think the storage had filled up.But I did rinse the hull and storage with fresh water and the sprayed down with fluid film.
    check all your electrical connections, sitting in storage is a great time for gremlins to get in there...

my neighbors Kawi250X was rolled over by the waters dege to cut out a tow rope that wrapped around the driveshaft while he was tossing his wife the rope, OOPS! long story... anyways everything filled up instantly and the seat was water logged beyond belief, well he continued to ride the rest of the day after we flipped it back over and did nothing to the ski when he got it home, weeks/months later it looked like the battery had grown a fur coat on it, I`ve never seen such a thing!

if you are able to tip the nose up and place something under the trailer tongue to keep the ski at an incline, let it drain out as much as possible if you already didn`t do this...

take care of that foot bro, get well soon!

+1
    Yeah actually the seat was very water logged and I double checked all of the connections, (this is all very hard to do on one foot BTW) but the ski is going in to the garage with the seat off all winter and the trailer propped up on the jack with two cynder blocks as well. Battery is on trickle as well.
    Thanks for the well wishes, hopefully i can walk on it by New Years!!!!

Yeah actually the seat was very water logged and I double checked all of the connections, (this is all very hard to do on one foot BTW) but the ski is going in to the garage with the seat off all winter and the trailer propped up on the jack with two cynder blocks as well. Battery is on trickle as well.
    Thanks for the well wishes, hopefully i can walk on it by New Years!!!!
    if you think there is water still in the ski, after you set it up, place a fan on the seat area to pull air.
    don`t forget to chock the trailer wheels!, you don`t want to take out the other foot!, have a good one bro, get well soon!
    stand the seat upright...

+1
    haha, Thanks, at that point the wife would def divorce me!!!!!!!

+1
    Too late for this now, but after every ride I blow the engine off with compressed air, leave the seat off, and put a box fan on top of the engine compartment for a day or two. After that, I lightly fog the whole engine with silicone spray.

+1
    Good call, Thanks. Next season that will be Standard Operating Procedure!!!!!

+1
    Good call, Thanks. Next season that will be Standard Operating Procedure!!!!!
    Hopefully winterizing next year doesn't involve your ankle shattering like a glass bottle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information