Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down still blowing 15 amp fuses?????

hi guys again, from my previous threads.... ridind and ski died, nothing at all. found that it had blown both 15 amp fuses. checked all the grounds and there fine. put a new mpem in, a new battery, diconected vts, taken mag cover off and found what look like 3 teeth of the starter bendix( stuck to mag) cleaned the mag best i could. put it back together and soon as put fuses in it blows the 1 in the mpem. i noticed it oonly blows them when the plug to the mag is plugged in. any iades please????

+1
    Short in the mag itself?

Maybe a piece (a sliver, perhaps, hard to see) shoved up into the widings.

If it does not blow with the mag plug unhooked it pretty much has to be in the mag.

strange!!! just put 2 new fuses in without the mag plugged in. plugged mag in and it didnt pop the fuses. put the dess on it beeped. turned it over quickly but it sounds very rough on the starter. prob the teeth missing? goin to take the engine out tomorrow and take the mag off. get a new bendix. go from there. thanks for the help

+1
    You have to pull the flywheel to do the bendix.

IMO, to do this job you are better off just pulling the engine. This lets you hold the crank without having to do the string in the sparkplug hole deal.

It can be done in the hull but you probably need to pull the pipe (be awful tough with it in place). You are best off using the SD flywheel puller too. I use a harmonic balancer puller for the PTO but only the SD tool for the front one.

if its an xpl, leave the engine in it, leave the pipe in it, I undo the top bolt on the front engine mount, lift the enine up and place a block of wood or wedge under the pipe stinger side not front to hold it up, then completely remove the mount for better access, then remove the oil pump leaving the lines intact move aside. Complete access

+1
    I bet you find that your stator is fried as well. Did you look at the stator to make sure that there are no burn marks? When you pull the flywheel, clean all the inside out and make sure its spotless.
    SHOOTER

+1
    How do you lock the crank so you can use the puller on the flywheel?

I am not a big fan of trying to plug up a combustion chamber and jamming a piston against whatever you shoved in there. That is a rod's strong axis, but stress is stress.

You can pull the front nut with an impact but you can not use it to install it. With it in the hull with the pipe on you will have a fun working a .5 inch troque wrench around in there.

+1
    Use a oil wrench tool to lock the pto and torque with a wrench. Andy in the xpl hull its easy, but in a gtx or rx it would be a SOB of a job. I'd pull the motor just to make sure that all the pieces are out of the cover and inspect that stator.
    SHOOTER

+1
    I guess I am just prone to whip it out.

The engine, that is...

+1

Blowing 15A

Don't know how comparable 99 are to 96 and earlier but I had the same problem with mine...replaced the stator, cleaned the mag and back in business. I did mine in the hull....don't recommend it without a lot of muscle.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information