Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Towing with a Subaru WRX??

Has anyone done this I am looking at getting a new WRX 5door hatchback wagon or a STi wagon, and need to know if I can tow my RXT and my XPlimited on a double trailer.

StiTaxi did it.
    I dont think its a good idea.

Not just because of the strain on motor, transmission, and clutch but also because of submerging it in salt water... the car is so low to the ground that you will rust out everything.

I'm also looking forwrd to buy a 2010 STI but I wonder if it's ok to tow my RXT-IS

I think it will tow one ski just fine. Even with two skis it should be able to handle it just might struggle pulling them out of the water.

Banned User
    I dont ride in salt water and its not as if i dont have a jeep to use as well, my buddy has a TSX and tows a RXT better then my jeep does up hills and on the highway. Would think aslong as ur not launching with the trailer you should be fine. Subaru rates it for 2000 lbs.

I've got a Legacy GT and it tows my FXHO fine.
    I stop with the rear wheels touching the water and the salt never touches the underside of the car
    It could tow 2 but it would be a struggle. You'll be burning up clutches and stopping in a hurry would be tough (except the for the STI's brembos)
    You have to remember when you're going on trips and the car gets fully loaded with people/gear, plus the skis, it's way too much weight

+1
    Reviving this old thread. I've been thinking about buying a WRX. Just wondering how they do at the launch? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to use any unpaved launches?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    Reviving this old thread. I've been thinking about buying a WRX. Just wondering how they do at the launch? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to use any unpaved launches?
    Towing a single or double PWC trailer?

At launches it mostly depends on ground clearance and tire traction. Some paved launches can also be lumpy or have a high crest at the top. High performance street tires may have limited traction on a wet paved launch ramp with weeds or loose sand.

I used to have a car to which I added AirLift 1000 air bags inside the stock coil springs. It lifted the suspension when fully pressurized just enough to level things out and provide decent ground clearance. Inexpensive product and easily inflated at any gas station or at home with a small portable compressor. 25 PSI is all it needs for maximum lift and the compact Schrader inflation valve can be mounted almost anywhere.

+1
    Single PWC. Going to be a 2010+ RXT X or a 300x. I was hoping the AWD would help with traction, but I'm wondering how bad a FWD car would be such as the Golf GTI? That airlift could be very handy..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information