Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Bad News about SHO pumps.....:(

Well guys...had Riva throwing some go fast parts on my boat and got some bad news. Apparently....the bearings in my pump went bad....for the third time.... this set only had 30 hours on them!!

I initially thought it was an issue with my ski because of my riding style and the water conditions i ride in...but apparently it has been popping up on SHO's in other places as well. Yamaha apparently knows about the problem and have a redesigned, hardened pump washer that doesnt suffer from deformation when torquing. A new prop with a redesigned hub is also needed......and the torque spec on the prop changes from 151 lbs. to 243lbs!!!........quite a difference.

fFor every1 with aftermarket props...not sure what this means......maybe we have to see if our aftermarket props can tolerate this amount of torquing. While Riva is in there.....im gonna ask them to check for alignment issues as that could be a possible gremlin...but this seems to be an emerging issue with the '08 skis

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Well guys...had Riva throwing some go fast parts on my boat and got some bad news. Apparently....the bearings in my pump went bad....for the third time.... this set only had 30 hours on them!!

I initially thought it was an issue with my ski because of my riding style and the water conditions i ride in...but apparently it has been popping up on SHO's in other places as well. Yamaha apparently knows about the problem and have a redesigned, hardened pump washer that doesnt suffer from deformation when torquing. A new prop with a redesigned hub is also needed......and the torque spec on the prop changes from 151 lbs. to 243lbs!!!........quite a difference.

fFor every1 with aftermarket props...not sure what this means......maybe we have to see if our aftermarket props can tolerate this amount of torquing. While Riva is in there.....im gonna ask them to check for alignment issues as that could be a possible gremlin...but this seems to be an emerging issue with the '08 skis
    Is this for the sho only or is this on every ski of yamaha's 08 models???

+1

Wow. What a drag!
    Is this for 08 AND 09's?- "seems to be an emerging issue with the '08 skis".
    SHO AND FZR?
    Yamaha has a "redesigned, hardened pump washer" and a "redesigned hub"..... And is this something that Yamaha has available now, is working on or going to have them on the 2010's.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Wow. What a drag!
    Is this for 08 AND 09's?- "seems to be an emerging issue with the '08 skis".
    SHO AND FZR?
    Yamaha has a "redesigned, hardened pump washer" and a "redesigned hub"..... And is this something that Yamaha has available now, is working on or going to have them on the 2010's.
    New stator for 2010?????????? COUGH COUGH!!!!!!!!!

Can you explain in more detail what happened for us newbies. I have been riding my sho for six months now with mods and had a crack which caused flooding. My mechanic has fixed the crack and reinforced the tunnel. I am trying to get a better understanding of what he did and why.

Thanks in advance

+1
    Hold the phone,

Is this just SHO pumps or FZ pumps too? They're the same so I'm assuming both, right?

I had my pump bearings replaced under warranty at around 60 hours but there was water in my nose cone which I'm pretty sure was the culprit. What happened to me was there was just a buzzing sound coming from the pump. The ski still ran fine, but when idling it was very noisy and when I removed the pump and started the engine the sound was gone.

What exactly failed on yours rip?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    New stator for 2010?????????? COUGH COUGH!!!!!!!!!
    Don't hold your breath Jared. lol

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fxho View Post
    Is this for the sho only or is this on every ski of yamaha's 08 models???
    I only know about my ski which is an '08....sry i dont have more info right now......maybe we can look for a change in part numbers....??

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Hold the phone,

Is this just SHO pumps or FZ pumps too? They're the same so I'm assuming both, right?

I had my pump bearings replaced under warranty at around 60 hours but there was water in my nose cone which I'm pretty sure was the culprit. What happened to me was there was just a buzzing sound coming from the pump. The ski still ran fine, but when idling it was very noisy and when I removed the pump and started the engine the sound was gone.

What exactly failed on yours rip?
    Seems as if the impellor gets pushed into the washer face....spinning it and wiping out the rubber seal.....allowing water in and consequently tearing up the bearings in the pump.

+1
    I only know about my ski which is an '08....sry i dont have more info right now......maybe we can look for a change in part numbers....??

Seems as if the impellor gets pushed into the washer face....spinning it and wiping out the rubber seal.....allowing water in and consequently tearing up the bearings in the pump.

This issue is with the 08' models , yamaha knows about it and sent out service bulletins in late 08. The 2009's are fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    This issue is with the 08' models , yamaha knows about it and sent out service bulletins in late 08. The 2009's are fine.
    So why is Riva telling Chris that a different prop hub design is necessary to use the upgraded washer? '08's & '09's use the same prop & pump don't they.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information