Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Eds_FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    109

    R&D Ride Plate - FZR

    I installed the R&D FZR ride plate and am am happy with the results (speed & handling) on smooth river water or mild chop.
    With no washers top speed was 72.6 mph with quarter of a tank of fuel.
    However I experienced some porposing (moderate which you could lean forward over the steering and reduce) so I fitted two washers to the ride plate.
    No more porposing at low fuel levels but speed reduced to 71.1 mph. All round a better option.

    Recently I rode next to my ski and noticed it sits on its rear with the front in the air much more than the FXSHO's... In 1 foot or more waves all of the ski was was consistently leaving the water.

    My problem occurs when riding in 1 to 2 foot waves... the ski rides on its rear even with one trim down and launches itself out of the water. Feels good and lands soft but constantly becomes un- hooked if going fast (50 mph).
    The problem (bounce & becomes un hooked) is worse two up.

    Has anyone tried three or more washers on the R&D ride plate ?

    Is the R&D plate not suited to rougher water?

    Current Mods.... Riva power filter, intake ribbon removal, FF exhaust, R&D Intake Grate and pump seal kit, R&D FZR Sponsons, R&D Ride plate and a 13/25 R&D Skat Trak impeller (which needs to be re-pitched down as only getting 7300 - 7400 on standard tacho).

    Any thoughts on keeping more of the ski in the water in rough water would be greatly appreciated

    Ed


  2. #2
    Bounty Hunter Carlos Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    1,401
    +1
    22
    I am not an expert in this area, but your prop is way to big. That is the prop people are running with the large supercharger wheels, intercoolers, etc. Also if you want the best hook up with that plate throw two washers in the front on each side and four washers on the back on each side. You may lose a little top end, but the hook up will be the best for chop.

  3. #3
    Eds_FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    109
    Thanks Carlos.
    Yes I agree the prop is too big at present so I will be getting it re pitched down.

    I already have two washers in the rear of the ride plate which reduced the flat water bounce when low on fuel.
    So I will start but adding another washer ... maybe two washers to the rear of the R&D FZR Ride PLate and see how that goes.

    Ed

  4. #4
    RUSH.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    868
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    I installed the R&D FZR ride plate and am am happy with the results (speed & handling) on smooth river water or mild chop.
    With no washers top speed was 72.6 mph with quarter of a tank of fuel.
    However I experienced some porposing (moderate which you could lean forward over the steering and reduce) so I fitted two washers to the ride plate.
    No more porposing at low fuel levels but speed reduced to 71.1 mph. All round a better option.

    Recently I rode next to my ski and noticed it sits on its rear with the front in the air much more than the FXSHO's... In 1 foot or more waves all of the ski was was consistently leaving the water.

    My problem occurs when riding in 1 to 2 foot waves... the ski rides on its rear even with one trim down and launches itself out of the water. Feels good and lands soft but constantly becomes un- hooked if going fast (50 mph).
    The problem (bounce & becomes un hooked) is worse two up.

    Has anyone tried three or more washers on the R&D ride plate ?

    Is the R&D plate not suited to rougher water?

    Current Mods.... Riva power filter, intake ribbon removal, FF exhaust, R&D Intake Grate and pump seal kit, R&D FZR Sponsons, R&D Ride plate and a 13/25 R&D Skat Trak impeller (which needs to be re-pitched down as only getting 7300 - 7400 on standard tacho).

    Any thoughts on keeping more of the ski in the water in rough water would be greatly appreciated

    Ed
    That is very low rpm to achieve that kind of speed. If you are getting 72+ at 7400 that is very strong, I need to make some changes to mine. I am running a 13/24 and seeing 74-75 but I have c1 wheel and the powershot. Did the rideplate make that much difference? What did your ski run with stock rideplate? i have heard up to 3mph , if so I am ordering tomorrow

  5. #5
    KamikazeGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,361
    +1
    99
    I don't think you're ever going to find any ride plate set-up, whether it be stock, aftermarket, milled, angled that is not going to have a bounce of some type in a full day of riding where your fuel level and water conditions are changing every 1/2 hour.

    Top speed set-up and everyday ride quality are always going to fight each other. Unlike the gpr's, these skis don't have trim tabs. There are not many options for adjusting handling other than lowering your trim or adjusting your cruising speed to change the ride.

    Crate stock my fzs had a bounce in flat water around the 20mph range. I had the same bounce with .93 washers under the stock plate. I still have the same bounce with the R&D plate with no washers.

    It's annoying and i either just trim down 1 below neutral or give it some gas til it goes away. It's something i have just come to accept since i am unwilling to give up any top end speed for a low speed bounce. 5 years of riding gpr's i'm used to the bounce.

    You can put washers under the stock plate to gain 1.5-2mph. The R&D plate will give 1.5mph over the stock plate with washers. To put washers under the rear bolts on the R&D plate to improve handling and lose 1.5 mph defeats the purpose of paying $200 for the plate.

    On that note, Now that i'm comfortable with the top end stability of the R&D plate for WOT runs. I'm going to put one washer that R&D includes with the plate under the front bolts. That will put it right on the limit of being flush with hull.

    I know it's dangerous and R&D doesn't recommend it. But, i just have to know what is the limit with the plate. Lose 1.5mph with washers in rear. Gain 1.5 with washers in front?????

  6. #6
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Thanks Carlos.
    Yes I agree the prop is too big at present so I will be getting it re pitched down.

    I already have two washers in the rear of the ride plate which reduced the flat water bounce when low on fuel.
    So I will start but adding another washer ... maybe two washers to the rear of the R&D FZR Ride PLate and see how that goes.

    Ed
    NOOOOOOOOOO. Don't pitch down. You already have the intercooler, might as well throw in a B1 wheel, powershot, and boost unlimiter mod and make use of that big prop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOO. Don't pitch down. You already have the intercooler, might as well throw in a B1 wheel, powershot, and boost unlimiter mod and make use of that big prop!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +1..... You're gonna do it eventually.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. SOLD Jim's VX modified ride plate FZR or VXR
    By YudLuz2 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 04:44 AM
  2. FS - Parts Riva Ride Plate FZR
    By racerx585 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
  3. FS Riva Ride Plate FZR/FZS (Sale or Trade) - $180 Shipped
    By Carlos Thomas in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
  4. WTB Worx Ride Plate (FZR)
    By Carlos Thomas in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
  5. Lets Talk Ride Plates FZR/S
    By Mik72e in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •