Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 785 question

785 question

I wanted to get some opinions on 785 exhaust valves, wich ones are better gas or electronic and why? also what snowmobile parts are used to make the gas valves? any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Does this help?
    Kinda, but I would also like to get personal opinions on performance, maintainance, and reliability, as I am debating on wich ones to use on my pro.

+1
    The electronic ones are controlled by the CDI. The gas ones are controlled by spring rate and is easily adjusted. The hardest thing to make is the adapter that mates the 785 base with the snowmobile parts.

+1
    The electric ones are very good as long as your valve motor is good i wouldn't worry about it .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I agree with Lugs, I have them both. My stock boat goes like hell with them as long as the motor is good abd everything is working. Had my stock boat for 7 years w/o any problems. Runs like a raped ape, even Randy commented on it at the midwest outing. i'd personally leave the motorized valves. Especially if you are just playing around the lake, racing is a different story.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    Beerdart is correct...you can make some gas valves out of snowmobile parts, but you need the base adapter for it. Beer, can you not just modify a stock base by drilling and tapping them to accept the snowmobile valve?? Or do they have to be machined from scratch?

I ended up putting gas valves on my 1010 because the servo motor was bad. My '98 already had gas valves on it when I bought it.

From what I've heard, the servo actuated valves hit harder where the gas valves are a bit smoother and can be adjusted for more low end or high end power by turning the knob at the top and/or spring change.

The gas valves can be expensive and hard to come by but I think Beerdart still has his for sale??

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    Kinda, but I would also like to get personal opinions on performance, maintainance, and reliability, as I am debating on wich ones to use on my pro.
    Reliability wise, the gas valves are the way to go. You don't have to worry about actuator motor / CDI issues. There are many Pro 785 CDIs out there where the actuator motor control circuit has gone bad but the rest of the CDI functions just fine. With gas valves, it wouldn't matter. I wish there was a source for new adaptors as I think the market is there if the price was reasonable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
    Reliability wise, the gas valves are the way to go. You don't have to worry about actuator motor / CDI issues. There are many Pro 785 CDIs out there where the actuator motor control circuit has gone bad but the rest of the CDI functions just fine. With gas valves, it wouldn't matter. I wish there was a source for new adaptors as I think the market is there if the price was reasonable.
    just in parts it's almost 600.00 to build , i have all Randy's old parts list with prices on it

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    just in parts it's almost 600.00 to build , i have all Randy's old parts list with prices on it
    $600 for a set of three, how about buying the valves on ebay? I just found at least 15 valves at an average of $75 ea.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information