Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing RV Seal?

Hey Folks,
    New to the forum. Defected from another forum.
    I have two 94 SPX's with 657s that I have been restoring to pristine condition for the last couple of years. I did the top ends and the compression is good but, one of them needs an RV seal that is leaking. If you let it set for a couple of weeks, without pinching the oil line and then start it up, it looks like a bug fogger for about the first 150 yards before clearing up. lol
    My question is can I change out the seal without cracking the case?

Sounds to me like the inner seals on the crankshaft are leaking. Check out the thread by marvin1907 about too much oil coming out of the spark plug hole. I don't mean to scare you, but you might need a new crank.

If that is the case, then I am going to ride it until it dies then fix it. What's the difference, except more fun before rebuild?
    Who knows it might run for a long time before I have to do something about it.
    Both my SPX's run really good, except for the smoke on the one and that is just for a minute or two, then it clears up.

Thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It could be either leaking. You can easily verify by pulling your intake off. If the RV seal is leaking oil will start oozing out around the shaft. It is an easy fix too.

If it's the 518 that seals the case halves you can remove the engine, flip it upside-down, remove the bottom case, and reseal with ThreeBond 1211. The seals probably aren't bad.

Welcome to GH...you somewhere in GA dude!

I pulled the intake back in March (easier to clean carbs) and noticed some oil around the RV shaft. That is what is making me think it is the RV seal...of course without pressure testing I can't be %100 sure.

Thanks
    Hiram, GA. west of ATL.

You're right, it could be that oil seal on the RV shaft. I think you still need to crack the case to change it. If its anything like a 787, then you need to pull the RV shaft out and completely disassemble it to change the seal. You can't pull the RV shaft with the crankshaft still in case. Those seals get hard and brittle from heat and wear and they are prone to leak over time.

Quote Originally Posted by jhjesse View Post
    I pulled the intake back in March (easier to clean carbs) and noticed some oil around the RV shaft. That is what is making me think it is the RV seal...of course without pressure testing I can't be %100 sure.

Thanks
    Hiram, GA. west of ATL.
    Oil is going to be present around the shaft at all times. It is the residual oil left from the fuel oil mixture. If there wasn't oil there, your RV would be trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    You're right, it could be that oil seal on the RV shaft. I think you still need to crack the case to change it. If its anything like a 787, then you need to pull the RV shaft out and completely disassemble it to change the seal. You can't pull the RV shaft with the crankshaft still in case. Those seals get hard and brittle from heat and wear and they are prone to leak over time.

You don't crack the case to change it, you insert a bolt inside the female threads on the end of the RV shaft and use a puller to extract the shaft, seal, and all. There is a snap ring holding it in place that has to be removed.

Yeah I am seeing it more clearly now on my drawing. The RV shaft is held in place by the bearing which is pressed in to the casing.

Wow!! Thanks...this is going to be a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by jhjesse View Post
    Yeah I am seeing it more clearly now on my drawing. The RV shaft is held in place by the bearing which is pressed in to the casing.

Wow!! Thanks...this is going to be a piece of cake.
    Make sure you confirm it is leaking first. Pull the intake and degrease the area with carb cleaner. Let it sit a day and see if oil puddles there. You can pressure test the cavity with 6 lbs of pressure if you want to find out quicker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information