Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

split my bottom end case

Pulled my engine for my 99 GTX RFI. I bought this ski with a known engine problem. I got it tore down, sent my cylinders out for clean up and top end kit. The shop where I sent my cylinders said it looks like the previous owner got water in the engine somehow and washed the oil from the cylinders. I split my lower end cases to day and this is what they look like. Will this cause a problem with the engine if I use the case? I tried to outline the area in red.

+1
    I'd check the RV gear set up too if water was around'

just take a scotchbrite pad, some simple green and hit that area if you want you can use a super fine emory paper and clean it up.

you are of course installing a new crank & C/B

TLR

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Can you change the resolution so we can blow up your pics? The thumbnail is too small for me to see deatils of the gear.

Welcome to GH!

As 96XPSS says, you need to blow those pics up.

I think you are asking about the beat up area where the rod was grinding up either some pieces of piston or needle bearings, right? As long as there are no holes, don't worry about it. You are lucky, you are working on a 787, which rarely trashes the cases. You ought to see what a 951 does in this situation!

(I've welded up a couple already, and I've got another project XPL with a dime-sized hole in the case waiting for teardown to see if the case can be saved...)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    I'd check the RV gear set up too if water was around'

just take a scotchbrite pad, some simple green and hit that area if you want you can use a super fine emory paper and clean it up.

you are of course installing a new crank & C/B

TLR
    It looks like the connecting rod scraped that area in red pretty good. So, I can clean it up with some fine emory paper? I take it that area has no clearance or tolerance specs?

I bought a crank & counter balance shaft from an individual on the forum. No slop in the connecting rods, everything looks good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    As 96XPSS says, you need to blow those pics up.

I think you are asking about the beat up area where the rod was grinding up either some pieces of piston or needle bearings, right? As long as there are no holes, don't worry about it. You are lucky, you are working on a 787, which rarely trashes the cases. You ought to see what a 951 does in this situation!Sea Dood
    Thats exactly what I'm reffering to. The rod closest to the flywheel did the damage. Case looks good otherwise. So I don't need to clean it up with emory paper?

+1
    Try these;

+1
    Though the damage does not matter as long as it did not hole the case you do still want to clean it up.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, just get rid of any snags with 100 grit. You don't want it smooth as the rough casting helps atomize the fuel.

Make sure you inspect the brass RV gear closely. Your first pic looks like it might be excessively worn on the left side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, just get rid of any snags with 100 grit. You don't want it smooth as the rough casting helps atomize the fuel.

Make sure you inspect the brass RV gear closely. Your first pic looks like it might be excessively worn on the left side.
    It actually is in good shape. It has a lot of oil residue on it. when I was cleaning the case I got some brake clean on it. Can I use brake clean on the RV gear? I wasn't sure if I could spray the whole shaft or not. What does the RV gear do any how? Not to sound stupid, but this is my first ski and the first two stroke I have worked on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information