+1

More GTX rfi questions... will not rev past 6000 and shuts down

2000 GTX Rfi - has not been run much in last 3 years - if at all. I pulled as much gas out of the tank as I could, put 10gals of fresh gas and seafoam. Put a new battery in and fired it up. Ran fine on the hose except maint light flashes when you first start it. I did not know how to reset that until searching around tonight (hold set button?) The ski has 99 hours on it.

Took it out on the water - runs very good except will not rev past 6000 rpm. It gets there at 2/3 throttle, but the last 1/3 makes no difference. Weird thing is - was holding it at 3/4 throttle for maybe 30-40 secs going up the river - watching the tach seeing what it was reading etc. It all the sudden went to idle - I thought it stalled (or worse) but I let off - then gave it gas again and away it went - running fine except wont rev past 6000. It did this twice - and I called it a day and put it on the trailer. Anybody got any ideas??

Compression is good 160 both cylinders, raves clean. Ski seems to run very well otherwise. Plugs are new. Impeller & wear ring look excellent. The twin to this ski runs at 6800 which I assume is the right rpm for the 800?

And what is 'buds'? I keep seeing this in posts. Sorry for all the questions - I am a yamaha guy for the most part trying to help out a couple of doo's get back on the water.

"BUDS" is the system for the later, 4-stroke ski's, doesn't apply to the RFI.

Only reving to 6000? Did you check the vac line that runs to the RAVE solenoid? Sounds like either the solenoid is not getting vacuum from the motor, or is not working.

+1
    Buds is the SD dealer computer diagnostic system and it "Talks" to any SD with a DESS post.

How much it can do as far as interaction with the ski depends on the system. A carbed boat has little interaction other than programing keys or setting timing correction (which can be done by the hand-held device).

I know it can be a lot of help on a DI but I have not had much experience with an RFI.

Try holding SET and MODE when you first turn on the ski. If that re-sets the MAINT message than you do not have any codes (if an RFI even shows you codes, not sure).

Since the RAVEs are command operated on that machine and powered by cylinder pressure through a check valve and a solonoid there are a couple possible failure points. I know on a 947 taking the RAVEs offline will drop it 4-500rpm but I am not sure on that RFI, it may be more and this may account for the drop (you can pull the plug on the RAVE solonoid on the other one and see what it turns for a baseline).

It could also be a fuel flow issue, or a water leak into the exhaust system as both of these will kill RPM on top.

Hey Krunch,
    Sounds like the RAVES. Take them off and clean them getting all the carbon and sludge out in the RAVE slot, as well as, the guillotine. Then I would replace all the hose going to the RAVES. then clean and make sure the check valves on the RAVE hoses are working properly.
    If this doesn't clear things up then look at the RAVE solenoid.
    Also make sure the red/blue caps are screwed all the way down. Good luck

+1
    Not a bad idea to check the RAVEs as they might need cleaning.

A quick test on the RAVE solonoid is to unplug it and run at WOT. If the RPM drops then the solonoid, and the RAVEs are working. If not, either one, or both of them are not.

+1
    Finally had some time to work on it - the maint error seems to have reset. Did look like the vac line to the raves was pinched - fixed that. Still waiting for daylight and decent weather to run it and check it out. Still not sure why it was cutting out suddenly.. thanks for help will keep you guys posted - hopefully this will take care of it.

Thread Information