+1

Have I finally arrived?

I come home from a week in the northwoods riding pwc, and learning to ride the new stand up and one forum is a desolate wasteland....no replies, no insight, no answers.

I read of a horrible war that has taken place while I was away, many deaths, It clearly is not the same place.

I find a new forum, there is hope, but still, activity is minimal, and the great polaris minds were absent there too. Although, Knightofwhite was of great help.

Have I finally arrived? Is this where the great semblence of two stroke Polari (plural for Polaris) minds have converged???

I hope so... because I need some help with my 785....!!

This may all be a repeat, but with so many people being banned, and changing forums, I have no idea who has seen what.

Check out these babies:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000564.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	7320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000576.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	7321  
    Last edited by absentx; 08-27-2006 at 12:27 AM.

+1
    WHOOOO HOOOOO Glad to see you, was hoping you'd make it!! Tough to get a measage to any stragglers. LOL

Man those turned out saweeet. I for one am looking forward to the rest of your build!

+1
    Well, its nice to finally catch up with everyone. BUT, I must admit, there were a few problems with the pipes.

UPS dropped them out of their Jet from 28,000 feet during shipping. Really mangled up the collector end of the MAG pipe. Picture below.

I have already made the claim with UPS and they currently have the pipe for inspection. As long as they see it is their fault, I shouldn't have to pay for the repairs. Problem is, what is the best way to go about repairing?

The person I worked with at the shop that painted them says he has guys that could take care of it no problem, he says no way they left the shop in the condition below.

KofWhite and GSXR on pwcforum had good suggestions.

Other issues:

The paint shop removed all the fittings from the pipes and shined em up for me. Which is great. But, now I am left with some very very beat up threads on the pipes, from times well before I owned them. A lot of clean up work needed on the threads. It almost looks like the old owners put JBweld or something else on the threads of the pipe fittings.

The good news though, is that the pipes leak test great other than super super slow leaks right where the fittings screw in. But that is with the fittings threaded in anyway I can get them to fit in. And trust me, its a very ugly fit for most of them at this point. I Clean the threads up, seal in the fittings, the pipes will have no leaks. Filled em up with water, bottom line, no leaks between the outer shell and the water jackets, which was my main concern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mangled bad.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	7322  

+1
    Absent buddy... you made it!!! Pipes look awesome, except for the damage obliviously.

On the threads issue, have you tried running a tap through them to see if maybe you're just looking at the previous owners "gunk"?

+1
    I also meant to add that helicoils are available in pipe thread as well, which could be another option, so don't panic yet!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA
    Absent buddy... you made it!!!
    I traveled the Internet far and wide for days searching for everyone...

I have the proper taps, I just haven't messed with them yet. Maybe I will try that today. In my opinion it looks like the threads get better as you gown down the hole, but at the top they are very bad, almost as if too much space has been created.

I need to get new fittings though also, because THOSE threads are bad too because they kept all the gunk on them. Tried wire brush, tried grinding, they just don't clean up well. Ill get some mock fittings from the hardware store just for testing though.

Couple ideas on the pipe damage were:

1. have a good shop heat it up and bend it back to normal (not sure if that would work)
    2. Hack off the bad piece and weld on a new piece (fine, but where do I find the new end piece???)
    3. Have UPS by me a damn new pipe!!! Are those still available from Polaris?

+1
    Okay, so I guess UPS has already inspected the pipes and sent them back to the shop. I don't know who is paying for it, or whats going on, but my pipes are already being fixed.

The paint shop is giving it to an excellent welder/fabricator who is going to straighten them out. He is just going to polish up that end when they are done and there wont be any paint there, but thats fine because it will be under the coupler anyways.

Any quick and easy tricks for leak testing head pipes? I want to get those painted but I dont want to wait around and bolt em back up to the engine to leak test them. I have a few thoughts, but maybe you guys no some easy ways.

+1
    At least they are handling it quickly.

Thread Information