Thread: Kissimmee River

+1

Kissimmee River

Has anyone ridden on the Kissimmee River near the Avon Park Air Force Range north of Lake Okeechobee ? Going to check out a ride around the back side of the bombing range next month, also what kind of riding is it going south to the Okee ? If it's like the St. John's then I know i will love it. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks everyone ! Also any info on ramps, gas availability, etc. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ERICG1 View Post
    Has anyone ridden on the Kissimmee River near the Avon Park Air Force Range north of Lake Okeechobee ? Going to check out a ride around the back side of the bombing range next month, also what kind of riding is it going south to the Okee ? If it's like the St. John's then I know i will love it. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks everyone ! Also any info on ramps, gas availability, etc. Thanks
    I ride there all the time...in fact, I lead many rides there. From the bombing range north there is nothing. South of the bombing range the Army Corps of Engineers is restoring the river...not sure how many miles south that goes.

There are two ramps we typically use. One is off of US 98 and Lock Access Road, nice twisties trails north of there until you hit the restoration project.

The second ramp is off of County Road 721 and Butler's Bluff Road (Boat Ramp Rd). Nice twisties there too, and smaller trails.

At either ramp you have the option of going through the locks to add to the ride.

There are no restaurants or gas, so it is advised that you bring extra gas and food.

Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ERICG1 View Post
    Yep, me & SHOdude did a recon ride up there awhile back. Because of the closure just south of the bombing range, the closest ramp(S-65) to access that part of the river is at SR60. There are 2 ramps there...one on each side of the lock. That part of the river is real straight & boring. There were some trails, but we couldn't go into most of them because they were full of weeds. We also ran north into Lk Kissimmee & Lk Hatchineha...some beautiful scenic areas up there.

Here's a pdf map & link to the sfwmd site:
    https://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...ct=1530&ou=440
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information