Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Who is at fault?

Pretty hot topic here in CT. Last year a police cruiser traveling at 94 mph hits a car being driven by two 19 y.o's that was attempting to make a left turn, in the path of the cruiser. The link shows the video and story.. Seeing I drive through the same intersection EVERY day on my way to work, I'm constantly reminded by the event. People are pointing their fingers at the police, others pointing their fingers at the teens who might have been under the influence..

http://nhregister.com/articles/2009/...2961926690.txt

Banned User
    +1
    Watching the video, I noticed a few things...

- That ain't 94mph...
    - All the lights were flashing yellows...
    - No lights on either cop car are flashing...

Anything coming that fast around a slight corner would throw my judgement off...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    that's a shame. Definitely the cops fault. weather they were going 70 or 94, doesn't matter. they were going much faster than the speed limit without their lights and sirens on. if they don't have their lights and sirens on, they are just another car on the road and need to be treated as such.

Moderated
    the cops were at fault.

if two kids hit a cop car while speeding and killed two cops minding their own making a left hand turn...., what would happen to the kids?

Thats sooo sad. the failure to proceed with caution on a yellow light on behalf of the teen is a factor but another huge factor was that the patrol car did not have his codes on. Matter of fact I dont believe either patrol car had the codes on. That alone would have made the teens think twice before making the turn on the intersection. IMO.

..great points... A lot of people are wondering whether the kids were under the influence, impairing judgement, cutting across traffic .... You can infer ( some people) ..the teens made a fast decision to cut acrosss the road.

I asked a police officer, she indicates that the kids should have yielded to oncoming traffic... speeding car oncoming or any car oncoming. I'm stuck here!

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    who's to say that the kids didn't think they were making an unsafe turn. how could they tell that the cops were barreling down on them at almost or more than 2x the speed limit? we will never know.

the article says that the GPS in the camera software gave them that speed. And the cop that got passed admitted doing 70 Plus

When you pull out into a 40mph road, you generally do so with the assumption that most cars will be traveling at roughly that speed.

I think the teens started pulling out with the thought that the police car was going much slower. Perhaps they were intoxicated or just tired and made a poor decision, but ultimately, the cop is at fault here.

If he's in a hurry somewhere, he needs to have his lights and sirens on so that people are alerted that he's moving faster than a normal car... I feel like that's the point of having the giant flashing lights there in the first place.

+1

!

The officers were coming back from a call and decided to act stupid and have a little Drag Race that turned into a fatal crash...The teens did not yield for traffic because supposedly they were signal 1 (drunk driving..) The Police is at fault for being stupid and the teens were at fault for being Drunk.. Now the question is if the Police officers were traveling at that speed with Light and Sirens would of that have that stopped the Teens from making an illegal left turn ? So at this point there is nothing else to do but to blame the Officer for being irresponsible with a Police Cruiser!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information