Extended warranty questions

How many of you 250x and 260x owners that bought your ski new got the extended warranty? My other question is how does the extended warranty work if I do some of my own maintenance. I change my own oil and filter, check adjuste SC belt, winterize it and plugs if need be. Does that cause issues with them not wanting to do a repair if need be? I document everything as I do on all my stuff, heck I took some digital pictures of the oil change showing what oil went in (Kawasaki oil). thanks for any help, I have until May of next year to decide to buy a warranty or not but don't want anyone doing basic maintenance other than myself. I know its done then!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    How many of you 250x and 260x owners that bought your ski new got the extended warranty? My other question is how does the extended warranty work if I do some of my own maintenance. I change my own oil and filter, check adjuste SC belt, winterize it and plugs if need be. Does that cause issues with them not wanting to do a repair if need be? I document everything as I do on all my stuff, heck I took some digital pictures of the oil change showing what oil went in (Kawasaki oil). thanks for any help, I have until May of next year to decide to buy a warranty or not but don't want anyone doing basic maintenance other than myself. I know its done then!
    yes i have bought the warranty, yes i have used it. doing your own maintenance should not void your warranty.

unless your dealer is a real dick general maintenance shouldn't messn with your warranty

i do my maintenance, change and adjust belt, change plugs, winterize, oil changes, etc.

Only logged items to Corp Kawasaki is any recalls or warranty work done to your craft.

Maintence records or bringing to a dealer is not recorded by Kawasaki, if your dealer asks then tell them you took to another dealer for the maintenace schedules.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    I fortunately did purchase the extended warranty and it paid off. I had major engine issues. Brought it to the dealer and no problems at all. They never asked for any records. Well worth it to me.
    I recommend it.

+1 on last post

Its just like insurance. Except its not mandated. How lucky do you feel?
    Mine just went through over $8,000 in extended warranty work. Cracked head, caused water in engine, new supercharger, intercooler, head, pistons, etc.
    So yeah for me it was worth it. If you plan on keeping the ski its a good idea if you are keeping it basically stock. And yes I do my own maintenance and it was never an issue.

+1
    i bought the extended warranty, i plan on doing my own oil changes, but anything major i will let the dealer fix, so they wont void my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    Its just like insurance.
    Not quite.
    Here is an example.
    If you forgot to screw in the drain plugs before riding and water got in the hull and sank the ski, the extended (or basic) warranty does not cover because forgetting something like that is not a defect in the product. In other words, obviously, warranty does not cover mishaps you did to cause the problem. Insurance may.
    Last edited by meangreenman; 11-25-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Well I didnt mean literally, I meant its like insurance in taking a gamble weather you will need it or not. Warranty or insurance is betting you wont need it, consumer is betting they will need it. As for me, I won the bet cause they paid over $8,000 in repairs for my $600 gamble. But the next 10 people that paid the $600 may never use it (the extended warranty).

As far as what is covered, that is all spelled out and can be reviewed before purchase. And no, warranty wont cover negligence just like insurance wont cover a cracked head or broken piston.

Warranty

I would never buy a new ski without a warranty. Well worth the investment. They are usually negotiable by a few hundred on price, most dealers will sell at close to their cost just to sell a warranty, keep that in mind.

Thread Information