+1

Thumbs up Correct Prop Pitch for sho/fzr/fzs

After working with Bob Jones on his fzr with a B1 wheel/ riva IC/ air intake mod/ exhaust mod /jim"s boost bypass/powershot/ intake grate ect. and two aftermarket props I am still not where we want to be on rpm's. These skis have such a narrow operating range on rpm's + boost starts at 5500 rpm's and then the over rev limiter goes off at 7700+ . This motor just jumps from 5500 rpms to 7700 rpms instantly. It is a nightmare getting the prop pitched correctly! As you guys start adding aftermarket hop up parts to these skis you will have to be constantly changing or repitching your props chasing the correct rpm for your mods. This ski is going to be a lot harder to get the best out of it than a gpr ever was. My opinion is that you MUST get the prop pitch correct befor you see the speed numbers you are wishing for. For all the new and old guys buying a bunch of bolt on parts and just putting them on is not going to yield good results untill the correct prop/pitch is found. A second problem is when the hot weather returns this summer the prop won't work as the rpms will be too low. You are going to need two props or different size reduction nozzles for hot or cool weather! These supercharged motors see a lot more Horsepower swings from good cool days to hot humid days than a normaly aspirated engines. Expect a hp loss of 15 to 25 hp from a best weather day to the hot dog days of summer. Tommy Jordan

+1
    I second that!

I've bolted a bunch of stuff on and the ski screams straight to redline. I'm on my third prop right now and am still on the limiter HARD with a Skat 13/24.

For what it's worth, I like the nozzles and am studying prop pitching. I just can't imagine I could make the prop any worse than they leave the factories...

+1
    where have you found a stock s/c machine will yeild its max speed in relationship to rpm's..

+1
    7650-7750 but that is a very narrow range to hit when you are prop/pitching. Also these ski are so weather sensitive you have it spot on one day and the next day you are a few rpms short or on the rev limiter. I sure wish we had a way to get around the rev limiter a few hundred rpms with out spending $3000+

+1
    thanks for the good news tommy for once im glad i live in the uk as the weather is always crap and cold here so it should be a closer run game on the rpm's...looks like i might have to stump up for a interchangeable nozzle before long

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    After working with Bob Jones on his fzr with a B1 wheel/ riva IC/ air intake mod/ exhaust mod /jim"s boost bypass/powershot/ intake grate ect. and two aftermarket props I am still not where we want to be on rpm's. These skis have such a narrow operating range on rpm's + boost starts at 5500 rpm's and then the over rev limiter goes off at 7700+ . This motor just jumps from 5500 rpms to 7700 rpms instantly. It is a nightmare getting the prop pitched correctly! As you guys start adding aftermarket hop up parts to these skis you will have to be constantly changing or repitching your props chasing the correct rpm for your mods. This ski is going to be a lot harder to get the best out of it than a gpr ever was. My opinion is that you MUST get the prop pitch correct befor you see the speed numbers you are wishing for. For all the new and old guys buying a bunch of bolt on parts and just putting them on is not going to yield good results untill the correct prop/pitch is found. A second problem is when the hot weather returns this summer the prop won't work as the rpms will be too low. You are going to need two props or different size reduction nozzles for hot or cool weather! These supercharged motors see a lot more Horsepower swings from good cool days to hot humid days than a normaly asperated engines. Expect a hp loss of 15 to 25 hp from a best weather day to the hot dog days of summer. Tommy Jordan

This is why I just chase womem that want to get together and stay warm even more when it is colder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    This is why I just chase womem that want to get together and stay warm even more when it is colder.
    How cold does it get in Texas SHOBiz???

Thread Information