Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Automatic adjustable intake grate

Just wanted to find out if this has been tried or if not, would there be any interest in this. I have an idea for an automatic adjustable intake grate using the stock 1200 & 800 grate style...works on a similar concept as the Adjust-A-Thrust. At idle, the blade plate is in it's most forward position and at it's most tilt. As the water force increases from acceleration, the blade starts moving backward a tad and at the same time the blade tilt becomes less...so as not to over stuff the tunnel at WOT. Any thoughts on this?

+1
    As the ramp slides back and tilts upward, the water on the top loading portion would certainly flow better. You have to think of the leading edge of the blade though. In order for the ramp to tilt back, the leading edge must move upward. This would allow for water to load at the bottom of the pump. I do not know if this would be benificial switching water flow from the top of the pump to the bottom.

Great concept though. It would be much better to figure out a way for the back portion of the intake to move forward, thus closeing off the bottom part of the intake and leaveing the top loader (blade) to do its thing.

I also wonder if the blade were moved closer to the shoe a bit and increased the leading edge perhaps 1/8 of an inch if that would effectively shut the bottom part of the intake away from incoming water.

+1
    Actually the movement is reversed from what you stated. The back edge of the blade is tilted/angled up when in the idle position loading the pump for out of the hole performance and as you increase speed, the back edge of the blade moves downward (less tilt/angle) as not to overload the pump at WOT. The movement of the blade backward would be very small like less than 3/8", I even have a concept of it just rotating on the leading edge keeping it in place. Either way, there shouldn't be an issue overloading the top or bottom.

+1
    Someone beat you to it years ago. There's already a patent on this idea. Don't know if any were ever produced or tested.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Someone beat you to it years ago. There's already a patent on this idea. Don't know if any were ever produced or tested.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6375523.html here's the patent

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Too much focus on the self-actuating aspects, I think.

Electro-mechanical control would allow the engineering to focus on and optimize the blade position, pivot points and angles, and leave the control regarding when (and how much) to actuate (move) the blade to a tunable controller.

There may be a lot of potential in the idea of a tunable grate.

The hydro-dynamic forces are huge, and any failure modes would need to be fail-safe. That is, it cannot be able to fail in a manner that at any speed would cause a loss of control.

+1
    I read about 2 sentences of that patent and my attention span became that of a 2 year old.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Actually the movement is reversed from what you stated. The back edge of the blade is tilted/angled up when in the idle position loading the pump for out of the hole performance and as you increase speed, the back edge of the blade moves downward (less tilt/angle) as not to overload the pump at WOT. The movement of the blade backward would be very small like less than 3/8", I even have a concept of it just rotating on the leading edge keeping it in place. Either way, there shouldn't be an issue overloading the top or bottom.
    Perhaps I am not following where you are putting the pivot point on the blade. I assumed that the pivot point on the blade was in the middle. If the pivot point is on the leading edge, then for sure the bottom would not change.

David, Wet Wolf was working on an adjustable intake with something like his adjust-a-thrust concept.... using the pressure to change the shape and size of the intake gullet.

+1
    Patents are a joke...they can always be worked around. Anyway, I doubt it would become a reality in the market place. I was more or less just thinking of it being more of a personal deal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    David, Wet Wolf was working on an adjustable intake with something like his adjust-a-thrust concept.... using the pressure to change the shape and size of the intake gullet.
    Might have to give Bruce a call and see where he is on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information