Rebuilding Sealants

What kind of sealant do you guys use and on what? Everyone talks about using Threebond 1211 on the case haves and Hylomar on the RV cavity crank seals, but what about everything else? What about the head o-rings and intake o-rings? Any thoughts on sealant for the carb to manifold gaskets? Does anyone know the difference between black and red RTV? Do you guys use it?

+1
    I use Hylomar on O-rings as a dressing. It has worked well for me over the years.

I do not put anything on the base gasket and carb gaskets, exhaust manifold and pipe gasket (except on the O-ring 947s and they get Hylomar).

The difference between the different color RTVs is normally the temperature tolerance and chemical tolerance. Black is better around oil, blue around ethylene-glycol, the red can take higher temps than the blue, the copper the highest, ect. They put the suggested application on the package.

Keep in mind, RTV is, for the most part, intended to be used as a gasket itself. You can use it as a gasket dressing, but there are other things that work better.

The High Tack is a popular one but I prefer the Permatex Form-a-Gasket Number 2 (yes the name is messed up) it is a gasket dressing that does not harden.

The problem with using RTV in any application is that you have to let it flash (or set) completely before torquing. If not, it is still a liquid and will, on one hand, squish most of your potential gasket material out anywhere it can escape and, on the other hand, hydro lock where it can not escape. When it hydro locks you will get the proper torque reading initially but as it does set it shrinks, thus causing the torque to go away. The potential problems should be readily apparent. The Form-a-Gasket #2 does not harden and will not hydro lock (the #1 does harden, but also will not hydro lock).

So, unless an application calls for RTV by itself (as some do in Automotives) go with either a dry gasket or the Perm Num 2 (on paper gaskets) and Hylomar on O-rings.

Is this the Hylomar stuff everyone has been telling me about? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hylom...Q5fAccessories

As far as the Threebond 1211, that stuff is not cheap. Could I get away with using Yamabond (I think I spelled it right)? One of my buddies uses it on his dirtbike motors and he gave me a tube of the stuff.

You use Hylomar on the RV cavity crank seals too, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    Is this the Hylomar stuff everyone has been telling me about? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hylom...Q5fAccessories

As far as the Threebond 1211, that stuff is not cheap. Could I get away with using Yamabond (I think I spelled it right)? One of my buddies uses it on his dirtbike motors and he gave me a tube of the stuff.

You use Hylomar on the RV cavity crank seals too, right?

Yeah, that is the stuff. The Racing Formula is supposedly stickier (and it is nasty enough as it is). You can get it from Permatex too (regular and RF).

Use it as an o-ring dressing and around the outside of the seals.

I am not sure what Yamabond is. Hondabond is the same as 1211. Yes it is expensive but how much does a top end cost? I have had the same tube for three years now (still perfectly good) and it has done four engines and is over 3/4 full. You get your money's worth with it.

Allegedly Hondabond is a bit cheaper and easier to get.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, it's a bit cheaper. You can get Hondabond at your local Honda car dealership.

After a little research on the web, I think Hondabond and Yamabond are the same thing re-branded. I'm gonna post to the Yamaha forum to find out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    After a little research on the web, I think Hondabond and Yamabond are the same thing re-branded. I'm gonna post to the Yamaha forum to find out.
    Yamabond, Hondabond & Three Bond 1194(gray) are all the same sealant products in just different packaging/labels.

The Yamaha guys use Threebond 1211, it is good

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Yeah, that is the stuff. The Racing Formula is supposedly stickier (and it is nasty enough as it is). You can get it from Permatex too (regular and RF).

Use it as an o-ring dressing and around the outside of the seals.

I am not sure what Yamabond is. Hondabond is the same as 1211. Yes it is expensive but how much does a top end cost? I have had the same tube for three years now (still perfectly good) and it has done four engines and is over 3/4 full. You get your money's worth with it.

Allegedly Hondabond is a bit cheaper and easier to get.
    I'm getting ready to assemble my engine. I bought the hondabond. You sugggest that it's used also around all the o-rings?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by olds72 View Post
    I'm getting ready to assemble my engine. I bought the hondabond. You sugggest that it's used also around all the o-rings?
    Some guys use the case sealer there too (1211, Honda/Yamabond) but I was talking about Hylomar.

Thread Information