06 GP1300 Starting Problems

Hi guys,

I have a friends 06 GP1300 that I've been asked to fix. The basic rundown is that is was running fine, and then started shutting down in the higher rpms with a warning light and beep. The ski would start up again and keep running fine.

It got to a point where the ski wouldn't start at all, and it came to me. The ski will turn over no worries, but there is no spark and therefore will not fire. When attempting to start I get a keep and the check engine light comes on. I held down the button on the display and got a 65 which I'm assuming is a fault code(anyone know what it is?). After trying a few more times, I get the normal 01 code.

The strange thing is that I have had it running once for about 15 seconds before it dies out and was doing the same no start thing.

The ski is bog stock just like it was from the factory. It has had the throttle cable replaced under the recall, but it's been running fine since being replaced over 12 months ago. I've checked the plugs underneath the cowling and all looks fine and water free, but I'm thinking it may be a sensor problem. In saying that, I don't know how many sensors there are and which ones would play a part in not letting the engine start at all.

I've pulled the exhaust off ready to have a good look, but wondering if anyone has any ideas so I don't have to go too nuts on it when it might be something that can fixed without ripping the whole ski apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

Leigh

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a friends 06 GP1300 that I've been asked to fix. The basic rundown is that is was running fine, and then started shutting down in the higher rpms with a warning light and beep. The ski would start up again and keep running fine.

It got to a point where the ski wouldn't start at all, and it came to me. The ski will turn over no worries, but there is no spark and therefore will not fire. When attempting to start I get a keep and the check engine light comes on. I held down the button on the display and got a 65 which I'm assuming is a fault code(anyone know what it is?). After trying a few more times, I get the normal 01 code.

The strange thing is that I have had it running once for about 15 seconds before it dies out and was doing the same no start thing.

The ski is bog stock just like it was from the factory. It has had the throttle cable replaced under the recall, but it's been running fine since being replaced over 12 months ago. I've checked the plugs underneath the cowling and all looks fine and water free, but I'm thinking it may be a sensor problem. In saying that, I don't know how many sensors there are and which ones would play a part in not letting the engine start at all.

I've pulled the exhaust off ready to have a good look, but wondering if anyone has any ideas so I don't have to go too nuts on it when it might be something that can fixed without ripping the whole ski apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

Leigh
    Bad coolant sensor code 65 that's why it will not start, Change it it's on the bottom of the pipe.

Thanks Jim, you're a champ...I'll give that a whirl and let you know how it goes..

Cheers.

Leigh

So I pulled the sensor from the top of the stinger (just before where the pipe goes through the rear firewall)...is there any way to test it by getting a resistance at a certain temp?

Unfortunately I can't find a fsm for obvious reasons so I have to keep asking these questions!

Cheers.

+1
    check it with an ohm meter and if its bad it will read "open"

wire in a 10k ohm resistor for test purposes and see if it will start

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    So I pulled the sensor from the top of the stinger (just before where the pipe goes through the rear firewall)...is there any way to test it by getting a resistance at a certain temp?

Unfortunately I can't find a fsm for obvious reasons so I have to keep asking these questions!

Cheers.
    I have had a few were you check them and them ohm out ok but still don't start, If it shows a code 65 and it don't start go ahead and replace it and you will be fine. Just make sure there is no corrosion on the connectors.

Thanks guys,

Turns out that this sensor was the problem (stinger sensor)...

Now, my next question, when looking on the parts diagram, there are three different sensors, I'm assuming the cooling water temp sensor is

66V-85790-10-00

Can anyone confirm so I don't buy the wrong part? The sensor I have has 54R stamped on the side of it.

Cheers.

Leigh

+1
    I have some good used ones for sale

Thread Information