Carb question 2000 STX

900 STX Model year 2000
    I was going to winteize my ski today. I started the engine (on the trailer) and it immediately went to full throttle. Scared the heck out of me. The throttle plates wer in the closed position. The thottle cable functions properly. The throttle plates opens and closes as they should. I started the engine again looking down the carb barrel and verified that the throttle plates were closed, They were closed. Again the engine went to max RPM.
    Any help would be apprciated.
    Ken
    Last edited by ki5pm; 11-20-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: clarify model

+1
    You have an air leak on the intake side. The engine has no load, so it revs up. What it really unnerving is when you get a hot spot on the cylinder head that allows the engine to diesel and you can't shut it off!

Look for loose mounting nuts on the carbs/reed cages. You can also squirt oil around the area to find leaks. Some recommend spraying starting fluid around the intake system to find the leak, but remember that ether is extremely flammable--be careful when doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You have an air leak on the intake side. The engine has no load, so it revs up. What it really unnerving is when you get a hot spot on the cylinder head that allows the engine to diesel and you can't shut it off!

Look for loose mounting nuts on the carbs/reed cages. You can also squirt oil around the area to find leaks. Some recommend spraying starting fluid around the intake system to find the leak, but remember that ether is extremely flammable--be careful when doing this!
    Thanks very much Steve for the info. I did have the flame arrester case off to replace the 3 rubber ducks. Maybe I didn't tighten the bolts correctly. I'll check tomorrow afternoon and let you know how I made out.
    Again, thanks for the quick reply and advice. It's nice to know there are guys like you around that will help guys like myself when we need help.
    Ken

+1
    You're welcome, hope you find the problem!

That was the problem. When I originally replaced the rubber flame arrestor ducts, I thought I had tightened the 6 bolts that hold the arrestor and carbs to the manifold. Only 2 had be tightened. Afte I tightened the remaining 4 the engine started beautifully.
    Thanks again Steve for your help. It is apprciated!
    Ken

+1
    Glad it was something simple!

Thread Information