Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Antiguan FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Antigua Caribbean
    Posts
    1,107
    +1
    3

    No Spark after dropping a valve

    So got my engine fully rebuilt (New head, piston, rod, bearings and rings ect) and tried to get it running last night. It ran, but only on 2 cylinders. Found that Cylinder # 2 is not firing, changed the coil, plug and checked the fuses and nothing. Even tried my stock ECU, no spark. Harness and plug looks good to go.

    Is there another fuse or feature that cuts the spark after a full short like when the plug gets beat to hell from a broken valve?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham AL
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    2
    Swap the coils from one cylinder to another see if the no spark issue follows I know the coils are know to fail for no reason.

  3. #3
    Antiguan FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Antigua Caribbean
    Posts
    1,107
    +1
    3
    I switched coils, plugs, fuses, ECU and cant find any loose connections yet. Its too ironic that #2 cylinder destroyed a plug and now there is no spark.

  4. #4
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    Strange ... is there any way to swap plug wires? I don't have my ski nearby, so I can't remember where the plug wires terminate or connect to the wiring harness. Maybe also check continuity of the plug wires to see if #2 reads different than the other wires ...

  5. #5
    Antiguan FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Antigua Caribbean
    Posts
    1,107
    +1
    3
    Thanks Vern, I am going to try that after work. I spoke with Riva and they said to check for a burnt wire or bad ground. Always learning new things with this ski....I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.

  6. #6
    Kiwi spanner handler
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Christchurch NewZealand
    Posts
    579
    +1
    13
    may have a bent tooth on the flywheel where the tdc sensor gets the signal so the ecu wont activate the coil/injector for that cylinder. you can take the sensor out and measure from the housing to the teeth and they should all be the same.

  7. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    3,048
    +1
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    ...I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.
    +11111 man those are my exact thoughts w/ my px. whatever it is will probably make u laugh in the end, but make you frustrated as hell till then. hope u find the problem soon...let us know what it was.
    mike

  8. #8
    Antiguan FZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Antigua Caribbean
    Posts
    1,107
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    may have a bent tooth on the flywheel where the tdc sensor gets the signal so the ecu wont activate the coil/injector for that cylinder. you can take the sensor out and measure from the housing to the teeth and they should all be the same.
    Good point but wouldnt that affect the entire firing order or allow some misfiring of the #2 cylinder? Its acting like the coil is dead. The injector is firing.

  9. #9
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    Always learning new things with this ski....I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.
    Soooo true!

  10. #10
    rxpdoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trinity, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,997
    +1
    122

    mpm

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    Good point but wouldnt that affect the entire firing order or allow some misfiring of the #2 cylinder? Its acting like the coil is dead. The injector is firing.
    believe or not i had the problem once and all it was was a bad fuse at the mpm. i know you checked the fuses and they "looked" fine. check for continuity don't assume they are fine. they can look ok and still be bad. i don't remember which fuse it was it was a while ago. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1997 SLTX no spark after update
    By Macy in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
  2. 2000 SLX 1200 no spark after running for a while
    By v8tiger in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 09:38 AM
  3. SL900 - No Spark after an hour
    By rrated999 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
  4. 1996 sl 700 no spark after update kit
    By racer447 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM
  5. No SPARK, after 10 min of raceng!!!
    By xsantia in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •