Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

No Spark after dropping a valve

So got my engine fully rebuilt (New head, piston, rod, bearings and rings ect) and tried to get it running last night. It ran, but only on 2 cylinders. Found that Cylinder # 2 is not firing, changed the coil, plug and checked the fuses and nothing. Even tried my stock ECU, no spark. Harness and plug looks good to go.

Is there another fuse or feature that cuts the spark after a full short like when the plug gets beat to hell from a broken valve?

+1
    Swap the coils from one cylinder to another see if the no spark issue follows I know the coils are know to fail for no reason.

+1
    I switched coils, plugs, fuses, ECU and cant find any loose connections yet. Its too ironic that #2 cylinder destroyed a plug and now there is no spark.

+1
    Strange ... is there any way to swap plug wires? I don't have my ski nearby, so I can't remember where the plug wires terminate or connect to the wiring harness. Maybe also check continuity of the plug wires to see if #2 reads different than the other wires ...

+1
    Thanks Vern, I am going to try that after work. I spoke with Riva and they said to check for a burnt wire or bad ground. Always learning new things with this ski....I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    may have a bent tooth on the flywheel where the tdc sensor gets the signal so the ecu wont activate the coil/injector for that cylinder. you can take the sensor out and measure from the housing to the teeth and they should all be the same.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    ...I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.
    +11111 man those are my exact thoughts w/ my px. whatever it is will probably make u laugh in the end, but make you frustrated as hell till then. hope u find the problem soon...let us know what it was.
    mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    may have a bent tooth on the flywheel where the tdc sensor gets the signal so the ecu wont activate the coil/injector for that cylinder. you can take the sensor out and measure from the housing to the teeth and they should all be the same.
    Good point but wouldnt that affect the entire firing order or allow some misfiring of the #2 cylinder? Its acting like the coil is dead. The injector is firing.

+1
    Always learning new things with this ski....I keep telling my friends that I can never sell it because I have learnt so much, acquired so many specialty tools and the pile of spare parts just keeps growing.
    Soooo true!

+1

mpm

Good point but wouldnt that affect the entire firing order or allow some misfiring of the #2 cylinder? Its acting like the coil is dead. The injector is firing.
    believe or not i had the problem once and all it was was a bad fuse at the mpm. i know you checked the fuses and they "looked" fine. check for continuity don't assume they are fine. they can look ok and still be bad. i don't remember which fuse it was it was a while ago. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information