+1

Anyone using a Fujitsu 15000rpm HDD?

I was thinking about buying a 10Krpm WD Velociraptor until I saw these on Newegg. I've always used WD, so I'm interested to hear if anyone has opinions on the quality of these Fujitsu drives...also interested how good their RMA service is. This is the one I'm looking at...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822116059

My RAID1 array is a bottleneck in my system for gaming, so I'm planning to use this drive for gaming only. I'm not too concerned with failures because my system is backed up to my server daily, but I'd like to know how long I can expect this thing to last.

those SAS drives run hot and loud! But otherwise fast as hell

I don't think I would buy a fujitsu brand HD.

If you are not concerned about failure why not run a RAID 0? Striped volumes would increase your performance without the cost of a new drive.

Just a thought.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronk56 View Post
    those SAS drives run hot and loud! But otherwise fast as hell
    Loud, I can live with...I always crank the volume when gaming anyway. Heat also isn't a problem. I am going to put it in a cooler like this one. If it's still too hot I can put a waterblock on it & plumb it into my water cooling system. I a full tower case with LOTS of fans as well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-085-_-Product
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    If you are not concerned about failure why not run a RAID 0? Striped volumes would increase your performance without the cost of a new drive.

Just a thought.
    I didn't want to go RAID 0 because I like the double redundancy since this is my work system too. I have considered a 0+1 array though, since I can buy two more 500GB 7200rpm HDD's for less than the Fujitsu. That would have the bonus of also speeding up my OS, but I'm not sure how the performance will compare to the 15K screamer.

Moderated
    get a solid state drive if performance is everything to you, they hammer big time ....just make sure you get a gen2.

we did some testing at work last week and installed office 2k7 with sp2 slip streamed , full install , all features....3.5 minutes. very f'n fast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    get a solid state drive if performance is everything to you, they hammer big time ....just make sure you get a gen2.

we did some testing at work last week and installed office 2k7 with sp2 slip streamed , full install , all features....3.5 minutes. very f'n fast.
    Wow, those have gotten cheap fast. I didn't even consider them because the last time I looked they were $1200+ for 64GB.

I ended up ordering the Fuji & two more 500's. My system has been slowing up a little, so I decided a OS reload will be a perfect time to go RAID 10.

Moderated
    why fujitsu and not seagate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    why fujitsu and not seagate?
    Seagate only makes 7200rpm desktop HDD's. I know some people swear by Seagate, but I have always used WD...I think I have 12 of them between my 2 desktops & server. I've only had one fail & I like that they cross-ship RMA's. For 15Krpm HDD's my choices were Fujitsu, Hitachi & HP. The read/write times on the Fuji were faster than the Hitachi, & the HP was $850 for 320GB & only had a 1 year warranty.

Moderated
    we use hp servers across the board and they are all sas now days but you are right, their pricing is a bit rude...

Thread Information