Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question regarding e-tech wheel, stock ECU and boost limiter?

I am running an engine-tech SS wheel (12-13lbs) and currently have the stock ECU. I was under the impression that with the factory ECU and the boost limiter that I would not see over 8lbs of boost, so I did a real quick test run before I put on my R&D Powershot next week and noticed that the Dynotune boost gauge was reading 11 psi at WOT, and I only went WOT for maybe 3 to 4 seconds. How soon is the factory boost limiter supposed to kick in and knock it back to 8lbs?

I believe after 1.5 sec of boost exceeding ~8psi, the throttle starts closing to limit boost...
    However, a number of people have reported inconsistent boost numbers so I'm not sure if there's more it.

Quote Originally Posted by STItaxi View Post
    I believe after 1.5 sec of boost exceeding ~8psi, the throttle starts closing to limit boost...
    However, a number of people have reported inconsistent boost numbers so I'm not sure if there's more it.
    does the boost limiter kick in at any rpm or is it only after a certain RPM?

I'm curious to hear more about the inconsistent boost numbers others are seeing...

I don't think RPM is a factor for the ECU, but you're not seeing much boost below 5k RPM anyway.

+1
    Where is your boost reference?? If it before the TB your going to see full boost.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    does the boost limiter kick in at any rpm or is it only after a certain RPM?

I'm curious to hear more about the inconsistent boost numbers others are seeing...
    The limiter kicks in if pressure exceeds 7psi AND rpm is above 7550. If you are above 7550 you will only see full boost for a few seconds before the ECU closes the TB.

+1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    The limiter kicks in if pressure exceeds 7psi AND rpm is above 7550. If you are above 7550 you will only see full boost for a few seconds before the ECU closes the TB.
    mjh3ides is spot on on the 7psi and if the rpms are above 7550, It is possible to see much higher boost numbers under accleration as long as the engine is below 7550. Also the boost limiter will kick in above 7550 rpms IF it gets more than 7 psi boost for more than 1.5 seconds too according to the service manuel. So it's very possible for people to see these higher boost numbers with the stock ecu for just a short flash on the boost gauge or if the rpms do not o above 7550!

yeah, thats what I have been reading, that it will go up to 11psi, but then will get cut right down again... but I noticed that it would stay at 11psi...

Duke hit the nail on the head i think though, it's because of the boost reference point for the boost gauge. Since it is before the throttle body, it is truly pushing 11psi at that point where the gauge is reading from, but after the throttle body it is only at 7-8psi....

you all are great, the knowledge on these boards is incredible. seems the car forums I used to hang out on had a lot more b.s. and people with no background guessing a somewhat logical answer to your question, lol.

+1
    So where did you mount your dynotune pressure sending unit if it's not on your intake manifold?

+1
    I also noticed the boost limiter does some funny things. Before installing the C1 & Powershot I was seeing about 8psi before the limiter would step in, BUT I would only see it go to 8 if I completely let off the throttle & then snapped it wide open. If I gradually increased the throttle or went from 1/2 to WOT it would only go to 7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information