Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 slt750 carbs.

I have a project boat going right now, It burnt a hole in pto cylinder. I can get away with honing cyl. & replacing stock bore piston .My question is this should I rebuild carbs, fuel pump, Change all fuel lines ? The only reason I even ask is I want to do this right & build a reliable boat. But the cost is kind of steep,especially if its not needed. Also should I buy genuine mikuni kits ? Or are the off brands O.K.
    Thank Brian

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blegan View Post
    I have a project boat going right now, It burnt a hole in pto cylinder. I can get away with honing cyl. & replacing stock bore piston .My question is this should I rebuild carbs Yes, fuel pump,Is it a triple outlet? if not, I'd get one Change all fuel lines ? If they are the oe grey ones, yes The only reason I even ask is I want to do this right & build a reliable boat. But the cost is kind of steep,especially if its not needed. Also should I buy genuine mikuni kits ? Absolutely Or are the off brands O.K. wouldn't even think about it.
    Thank Brian
    This seems to be the best kit for your $.

+1
    Did you find out what actually caused the burn thru? I'd do that first, so it doesn't happen again or else all your work will be useless. Bite the bullet and get the geniune kits for 129.00. it's the real deal and has everything you need to do it right the first time and should last another 14 years on the ski like the first set did from the factory.
    A triple pump is a must too. 30.00. Thats cheap compared to a rebuild. Check the tank lines, if not checked already, i'm sure thier brown, expanded and probably junk. The weighted screens on the ends there may have fallen off them already. I have the same ski and mine were wasted, 1 screen was on the bottom of the tank. Make sure you know which one is which. they are different lengths. 1 for reserve and 1 for the main.
    If you cross them the wrong way, you wont have a reserve! you'll think you do untill you switch the selector and nothing happens.
    Replace all the lines. about 25 feet for all of it.
    Make sure the pump is above the pulse fitting on the block and use the shortest line possible from the pulse fitting to the pump under 12 inches is best. Mount the pump too. Don't leave it hanging in there.
    Beerdart has a diagragm for routing the new pump. or look in the search function and you can find it there also.
    Ax the auto cock and throw it away, You don't need it. That blue thing!
    Check the o-rings in the fuel selector and replace if needed. Wash out the fuel seperator and make sure it's spotless too. When you start it, look at the lines(if you use blue clear fuel line anyways),, and look for bubbles. If you see any after it's running, you have a air leak somewhere.
    Check the Gas cap for cracking on the tank. Theres a update to replace that with a aluminum one. prone to cracking. Well thats a start anyway, Get to work! lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    IMO mikuni kits are over rated and over priced, I have used other brands as well as the mikuni ones and will never spend that kind of $ on mikuni kits again. I am sure this comment will rock the boat a little so have at it guys!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    I also agree with ^^^^^

Ujustlost, glad you've had success with aftermarket, but I'll stick with Mikuni parts myself.

They've been tried and true to work for years as seen by all the skis that haven't been touched mechanically. 14, 15 yr old skis, just now being opened up for service.....

The Polaris "vets" say to use ONLY OEM Mikuni parts for a reason. They must have leaned a thing or 2 along the way about the cheaper kits.

Although the Ebay kit is a really good price for OEM or an aftermarket rebuild kit.

YUP !!

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Did you find out what actually caused the burn thru? I'd do that first, so it doesn't happen again or else all your work will be useless. Bite the bullet and get the geniune kits for 129.00. it's the real deal and has everything you need to do it right the first time and should last another 14 years on the ski like the first set did from the factory.
    A triple pump is a must too. 30.00. Thats cheap compared to a rebuild. Check the tank lines, if not checked already, i'm sure thier brown, expanded and probably junk. The weighted screens on the ends there may have fallen off them already. I have the same ski and mine were wasted, 1 screen was on the bottom of the tank. Make sure you know which one is which. they are different lengths. 1 for reserve and 1 for the main.
    If you cross them the wrong way, you wont have a reserve! you'll think you do untill you switch the selector and nothing happens.
    Replace all the lines. about 25 feet for all of it.
    Make sure the pump is above the pulse fitting on the block and use the shortest line possible from the pulse fitting to the pump under 12 inches is best. Mount the pump too. Don't leave it hanging in there.
    Beerdart has a diagragm for routing the new pump. or look in the search function and you can find it there also.
    Ax the auto cock and throw it away, You don't need it. That blue thing!
    Check the o-rings in the fuel selector and replace if needed. Wash out the fuel seperator and make sure it's spotless too. When you start it, look at the lines(if you use blue clear fuel line anyways),, and look for bubbles. If you see any after it's running, you have a air leak somewhere.
    Check the Gas cap for cracking on the tank. Theres a update to replace that with a aluminum one. prone to cracking. Well thats a start anyway, Get to work! lol
    The #3 cyl burnt a hole in piston for various reasons LO - HI jets completely closed -sucking air at intake manifold -fuel rail & sys. failing miseraly -Fuel that smelled tike paint thinner.etc. etc. etc, Boat is actually in nice shape. prev. owner bought reman engine, then installrd it without cleaning it up $ fixixg needed repairs. So any ways Im going through it building it for my wife, so I need to build right & reliable. Have all new fuel lines ,pumo,new pistom & rings top end gacket set *misc. Will order the oem mikuni kits tomorrow.Thanks for all the input

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I also agree with ^^^^^

Ujustlost, glad you've had success with aftermarket, but I'll stick with Mikuni parts myself.

They've been tried and true to work for years as seen by all the skis that haven't been touched mechanically. 14, 15 yr old skis, just now being opened up for service.....

The Polaris "vets" say to use ONLY OEM Mikuni parts for a reason. They must have leaned a thing or 2 along the way about the cheaper kits.

Although the Ebay kit is a really good price for OEM or an aftermarket rebuild kit.
    The biggest problem I have with the Mikuni ones is if you are re-building 38mm carbs like blegan is, you waste well over half the kit. Mikuni sells the one universal kit, so your paying for a lot of parts you DON'T need but FORCED to buy. And if you buy the parts seperatley you pay more than the kits cost. Seems like to me Mikuni did that on purpose!

+1
    Does anyone know who makes the re-build kits for miknuni? or at least the rubber parts?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ujustlost View Post
    The biggest problem I have with the Mikuni ones is if you are re-building 38mm carbs like blegan is, you waste well over half the kit. Mikuni sells the one universal kit, so your paying for a lot of parts you DON'T need but FORCED to buy. And if you buy the parts seperatley you pay more than the kits cost. Seems like to me Mikuni did that on purpose!
    If you actually look at the kit listed, it only includes the parts that you need, not any of the parts you don't. Also includes new screws.

+1
    For that one your right ' that's the first time I have seen that kit' all the ones I have seen or bought were the other kit I was talking about. There about the same price though' I think I payed 40 or 42 for the ones I bought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information