Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wondering if I can.........

Just wondering if the two strokes can go in 50deg water? Give or take a few degrees. Thanks.

+1
    Pete, i start riding in April here.Our water is fresh snow runoff and the water is in the low/mid 50's. Your piston will expand much faster than the cylinder due to the cold water running through the cylinders. I pre-heat on the trailer a little longer than normal but safe! You must develope the heat in the engine. I will warm the engine in cooler water temps for 5-8 minutes, almost like a break in period. Try to bring the temps up slowly. I never go over 1/2 throttle the first 5 minutes, doing say 15 mph to 45 mph soft pulls then you can start some hard pulls to build the heat up from 15 mph to 50-60 mph. After say 8-10 minutes of this heat building process, you should be good. ADD MORE FUEL! Watch your air temps (RAD) and give it plenty of fuel. Key is to get the cylinders expanding the same rate as piston in cold water. Dont get in a hurry. Take your time. Once the heat is there, hammer it. I use a laser temp gun to check cylinder temps aimed right below the head at exhaust side.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Pete, i start riding in April here.Our water is fresh snow runoff and the water is in the low/mid 50's. Your piston will expand much faster than the cylinder due to the cold water running through the cylinders. I pre-heat on the trailer a little longer than normal but safe! You must develope the heat in the engine. I will warm the engine in cooler water temps for 5-8 minutes, almost like a break in period. Try to bring the temps up slowly. I never go over 1/2 throttle the first 5 minutes, doing say 15 mph to 45 mph soft pulls then you can start some hard pulls to build the heat up from 15 mph to 50-60 mph. After say 8-10 minutes of this heat building process, you should be good. ADD MORE FUEL! Watch your air temps (RAD) and give it plenty of fuel. Key is to get the cylinders expanding the same rate as piston in cold water. Dont get in a hurry. Take your time. Once the heat is there, hammer it. I use a laser temp gun to check cylinder temps aimed right below the head at exhaust side.

awesome idea with the temp gun

+1
    I ride on Lake Superior a couple times a year...38 to 41 degree water! No problems in over 10yrs.

Thats all I needed to hear, thanks for the responses you guys.

+1
    The winter desperation is kicking in...

Moderated
    well it was 42c here yesterday, we was melting!

+1

dead of winter

the closest i get to skiing up here is youtube videos, i think i'll live in the winter in Ross's basement!LOL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    What temperature do you want the cylinders to be at? I'm gonna be testing around march and water temps are the same around low 50's.

+1

TESTING

i happy that Mike(xsockxguy)brought this up as i might do the same with all the new "toys" have to play with,i don;t think i can stand to have to wait till lets say april (60-65 deg)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information