Thread: pump rebuild

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar

pump rebuild

i got all the stuff today to redo my pump. it had water in it but the cone was good it blew a o ring. i got the two seal of on the front but i can not the bearings out no matter what i try. what are some of the tricks y'all use to get the bearings out. also what mixture of marine and oil do i need to use or do i just use the grease by its self?

Thanks
    Kory

+1
    hit it with the berzomatic for a couple seconds

i will try that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdude35 View Post
    i got all the stuff today to redo my pump. it had water in it but the cone was good it blew a o ring. i got the two seal of on the front but i can not the bearings out no matter what i try. what are some of the tricks y'all use to get the bearings out. also what mixture of marine and oil do i need to use or do i just use the grease by its self?

Thanks
    Kory

Warm it up with the torch and knock the bearings out using a long punch or something similar from the backside. Just use a good marine grease to repack the bearings if they still appear to be in good shape. You can pop the rubber bearing seals out, repack them and then push the seals back into place. It's so easy a cave man could do it. Heat up the stator and freeze the bearings prior to re-installation. They should almost drop right in. Don't forget to put the bearing spacer in before you install both bearings.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    I used an old long bolt, pushed the spacer to the side, and hammered the bearings out from their back side. I would use new bearings. They are standard size, not hard to find, and not that expensive. Cheap insurance.

When assembling it cover everything in grease and:

1. Install one bearing
    2. Set spacer in place
    3. Fill it up with grease
    4. Install second bearing
    5. Install seals and other parts

Otherwise it is hard to pack in the grease once both bearings are installed.

I used marine grease, it was BLUE. I have heard that BLUE parts make you faster! That's where the phrase 'BLUE past everyone' came from!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC-14b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	160379

Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    I used an old long bolt, pushed the spacer to the side, and hammered the bearings out from their back side. I would use new bearings. They are standard size, not hard to find, and not that expensive. Cheap insurance.

When assembling it cover everything in grease and:

1. Install one bearing
    2. Set spacer in place
    3. Fill it up with grease
    4. Install second bearing
    5. Install seals and other parts

Otherwise it is hard to pack in the grease once both bearings are installed.

I used marine grease, it was BLUE. I have heard that BLUE parts make you faster! That's where the phrase 'BLUE past everyone' came from!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC-14b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	160379
    i have a new kit for it ready to go on. i will try this with some heat. the marine grease that i have is blue

’95 SL 750, How to Do, a Jet Pump Bearing/Seal Replacement

Replacing the bearings and seals is pretty straightforward job if you have the proper tools.
    After removing the pump assy from the ski, disassemble far enough to get the rear cone off. Put it in a vise, and using the special tool (about $10.00) remove the impeller, (cc/w).

You can now punch out the bearings and seals by using about a 6-8 inch long punch (using a good size hammer). There is ample room to move the spacer around, it seems easier to go through the middle of it vs. the side of it to drive them out.

Next de-grease and clean up the housing.

Put it in an oven for about 45 minutes set at 212 degrees F.

While this is heating, put the bearings in a freezer for about the same length of time.

Now it is ready to assemble. The bearings will almost slide in with hand pressure; you might have to nudge with a hammer/socket (pushing on the outer race). Don’t forget to install the spacer.

When both bearings are in let it cool for a while. Insert the first forward seal (socket/hammer on out side edges of seal) pack marine grease in the cavity (between the seals) and install the next seal.

Installing the impeller requires the special tool and a torque wrench that go to 100 foot-pounds.

Assemble the rest with all new seals.

Total cost for this project was around $100.00(using all Polaris seals/bearings)

Thread Information