Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Don't loan tools!

Grrrr!
    A few months ago, I loaned a "friend" my very nice torque wrench.
    When he returned it, he said he couldn't use it since it "didn't go far enough". I thought no more about it and put it back on my toolboard without really looking.
    To-day, my son and I thought we'd have a close look at the clutch upgrade job, prior to ordering the parts, you know - a "dry run".
    It was useful, we found we would need a clamp and some other bits, INCLUDING A NEW TORQUE WRENCH . The **** had pulled on it so hard he'd twisted the square drive which you fit the sockets on .
    You think he might have told me - but no, he just left me to find out - thanks!!
    This is the third time this sort of thing has happened to me with tools - you try to help someone and they **** all over you. A bit of honesty here would have helped. Sorry to go on, but this sort of thing really gets to me.

+1
    Dont loan tools out,especially the expensive ones.It might be different if you let someone use a tool if your there watching.I do not loan tools out or quad trailers,jacks etc...............The tools i have are the tools i need and had to buy to do a job.I had to buy them,so can everyone else.

Thats BS, borrowing a tool and returning it broke without saying anything.

Confront him about it.Get his side of the story,he 'might' not realize what he has done.

Sounds like he was using it as a breaker bar, I would confront him about it, maybe he doesn`t know he damaged your tool...

I agree, my tools stay in my garage!...PR...

... can't confront him, unfortunatley - used to work with him but he left a while ago. When I think back about when he returned the tool - he KNEW he had broken it - call it "body language".
    It's one of those torque wrenches that clicks when you reach the required setting. He had taken it past the click to the point where he twisted the 3/4" square section about 10 - 15 degrees - dificult for a graduate engineer to do by accident. I just wish he had the good grace to tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by bic1
    ... can't confront him, unfortunatley - used to work with him but he left a while ago. When I think back about when he returned the tool - he KNEW he had broken it - call it "body language".
    It's one of those torque wrenches that clicks when you reach the required setting. He had taken it past the click to the point where he twisted the 3/4" square section about 10 - 15 degrees - dificult for a graduate engineer to do by accident. I just wish he had the good grace to tell me!
    He twisted a 3/4 drive torque wrench Tightenening what? ...PR...

Good question!

He needed a new car because his was falling apart and he didn't have any money to repair it. Rather than buying somthing a BIT sensible, he bought a SAAB (do you have them over there?) Turbo with many miles on the clock. Within days, the inevitable blue haze followed him wherever he went! He told me he needed it to torque the head down after he "had a look"!

To torque the head down??? And bent the 3/4 drive doing so

DAMN must of had a 10 foot pole on the end of that thing

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Holy crap....that was one helluva head bolt....I need to get some of those....usually just snap a bolt off in the block at that point! You guys have craftsman or snap-on tools there, cause that could solve all your problems (Lifetime Guarantee!!)

what a jerk. Borrow something from him and break it on accident.

my torque wrench just sits in my box, I have been building skis and moto cross bikes so long, I got my poundage in my wrist, 18-20 for heads and inner case boldts, three times that for cylinder and flywheels, around 12 pounds for
    for flywheed covers etc;

as far as lending tools, people generally don't ask in my neighborhood but at the finals it happened once or twice to factory riders who are lost without their paid wrenches so I ended up using my own tools for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information