HELP! rev question look inside

I don't have much experience with working on my ski. Usually ends up in the shop unfortunately for me. it is a 99 xl 1200 ltd has around 145 hours on it. just had the impellar housing replaced. carbs synced. d plate installed ect. i have noticed now when it take it out under wot it kills itself back to idle for a few second "reset" and then once the throttle is let off it will come back down. will get up to plane and ride around 5500 to 5600 rpms but again when you increase the throttle to max it dies out. i was thinking it was hitting the rev limiter and it was causing it to go into a limp mode then resets and will operate again until these higher rpms are hit. my wife and i are having a baby and i was hoping to sell the ski soon due to lack of time riding it but you can see my concern when i go to show it to potential buyers. any ideas anyone can relay. I thought the rev limiter was based upon the computer of the ski so was hoping to not have to replace it. thanks all i really appreciate it.

+1
    Check to make sure the power valves are opening and working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Check to make sure the power valves are opening and working properly.
    +1 or could it possibly be a carb issue?

checked power valves. all is well. carb is good but what i am finding out if i don't hold the throttle wide open it will get up to speed. have to keep it at about 3/4 open. i believe it is hitting the rev limiter with the wot as it goes back to idle and once throttle is released after a few seconds it will "reset" and be able to get back up to speed. Is there any way to fix this issue without replacing the computer? I am under the impression that is what controls the rev limiter. Please let me know.

+1
    How did you check the PV's?

Are you sure you have proper fuel delivery? What you describe almost sounds like you are experiencing a lean seizure.

By the way, there is no way you are hitting the rev limiter on that ski. Something else is wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    How did you check the PV's?

Are you sure you have proper fuel delivery? What you describe almost sounds like you are experiencing a lean seizure.

By the way, there is no way you are hitting the rev limiter on that ski. Something else is wrong.
    +1

possible fuel problem

choke sticking?

also did the catalytic converter come apart?

and FYI when you over-rev, the valves will close

I took it in to a mechanic because I am limited on how much about them I know on the ski. I did have him check them and they were working the way they should. It is also getting fuel. He suggested to me that it could be the computer and the rev limiter. is anyone in the tampa area I can just take it to in order to diagnose the issues? thanks all wish i could explain more. just what I am told I relay

Thread Information