Bypassing the starter solenoid 1993 SL 750

I have a Polaris Sl 750 that I just replaced the starter on (PITA), when I try to start it it just clicks at the battery box.

I'm thinking solenoid issue, how do I bypass it to see if the new starter cranks the motor?

Or better yet does anyone else have any suggestions?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure the battery is GOOD and fully charged first!!!

The solenoid is inside the elec box. Just put 12V directly to the back side of the solenoid with a heavy gauge wire to bypass it.

CAUTION: you will make sparks, so make sure there's no fuel vapors inside the hull!!!!!!

Also remove the sparkplugs, and try turning the motor over by hand. Use the coupler at the back of the engine to do so.

This will make sure the engine isn't seized up, or the bendix isn't frozen.

Thank you friend, seeing that you know what you are talking about. What do you think the problem sounds like?

When I hit the starter button all I get is a click from the battery box.

With all the work that it took to get the new starter in (and a few bruised knuckles) I am getting a little frustrated with this thing.

Mike

+1
    Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the driveshaft by hand..

+1
    If the ski is older, and hasnt been started in a while. It may be the bendix is stuck and /or sticking, I bet if you took it out, it would have next to no grease on it like most of the ones iv'e seen. But to do that , you would have to take the stator cover off along with the oil pump and pull the flywheel to check it. You could take the starter back off, undo the battery cables and stick your finger in there and try to move the little gear on a spring in there to see if it moves. and if it does, your ok there. The little gear that jumps out to the flywheel is on a helix shaped gear and kinda spins up and around like on a pole if you will then slides down when done. then shove some grease in there around the gear and try to work the thing loose so it moves freely. I had one that was sticking and when i had the motor apart, i cleaned it and greased it real good. When you energize the selonoid,you make that little gear jump and it hits the flywheel and starts to turn the engine over until it starts, then it automatically snaps back to get out of the way via that spring once the engine starts.
    Another thing that can happen is, theres 2 o-rings on the end of the starter and both have to be in the hole there where the starter goes, but if you got both bolts in and tight...that wouldnt be the problem. Just so your aware that there is 2 o-rings on it.
    Check the ground wire on the back of the motor that connects to the big blue plate on the bottom and check to see if its tight and the wire is not green and nasty. corrosion will prevent it from starting.Clean and sand the end and the place where it connects to make sure your clean there. Check the battery terminals and make sure the cables are tight and clean on the battery! Make sure the battery is good too. An uncharged or weak battery will cause this too!. should read at least 11.6 volts or better. More like 12.5volts. Also check the wire that goes to the starter for corrosion and make sure it's tight too!. Good luck!,

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check to make sure the crank spins freely.

Then try a fresh and fully charged battery.

You'd be surprised at how many people think the battery is good, when in all reality, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Check to make sure the crank spins freely.

Then try a fresh and fully charged battery.

You'd be surprised at how many people think the battery is good, when in all reality, it isn't.
    I've found that 90% of the time, its the battery. Check your voltage while trying to crank it over, if it drops below 10.5 volts but shows good voltage (about 12.5v) with no load, replace it with a new one.

Thread Information