Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightened Hull

+1

Lightened Hull

i was reading that polaris made a few protoype 97 hulls that were 50-75 lbs lighter than the production models. How in the world could you remove 75 lbs from a hull besides the foam and still have a ski? Was it made out of carbon fiber? thats the only way I see how it could happen. I was thinking of getting a stripped pro hull and grinding out a lot of material inside and make it loose weight! Like taking the plastic out under the seat possibly, grinding glass out of the hull wheres it isnt really needed. You can basically tell from the stress cracks where its weak and those areas could be reinforced as you work on it. For example...on my 94 sl in the bottom of the hull. those ribs down there are thick and heavy and I bet you could grind away a lot of everything down there ( not flat , just taken down a bit on each and It wouldn't hurt anything..If it did start cracking, you could repair those areas back till it stops. I guess a carbon fiber hood would help too. The storage container and oil can also. Anything else that can could be taken out? I mean how much is actually possible? Anyone ever tried? Could it drop the weight 50 lbs or more? I doubt it. That would be way too much glass to remove.. Or the proto hull and topsides are as thin as can be already.. I heard you can see light thru the sides with a flashlight it's so thin. (thats on a pro785 97 I believe.) Any Ideas or stories? Then stuff a triple 1200 in it and POW! instant dragster!

+1
    i have a 99 light weight hull and there's no foam at all and the top deck is so thin you can put your hand inside the hull and see it on the outside . this is in areas where the paint is missing .
    this hull is even lighter then the 97's but man doe's it crack easy on the top deck

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I wouldn't be removing anything from the hull. The bottom of the SL is only 3/8" thick with the sides being 1/4". Not much strength IMO if you start removing material.

Hate to find out you have a weak spot after a hard landing and start to take on water FAST!!!!! And with no foam inside, it's going to sink for sure....

But hey, you lost 50 lbs off a ski you're never going to race, right?

LA found a carbon fiber PRO hull, but haven't found out anything else since he bought it I believe.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    LA found a carbon fiber PRO hull, but haven't found out anything else since he bought it I believe.
    He found a CF Hurricane hull.

+1
    My bad!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I wouldn't be removing anything from the hull. The bottom of the SL is only 3/8" thick with the sides being 1/4". Not much strength IMO if you start removing material.

Hate to find out you have a weak spot after a hard landing and start to take on water FAST!!!!! And with no foam inside, it's going to sink for sure....

But hey, you lost 50 lbs off a ski you're never going to race, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    He found a CF Hurricane hull.
    Stuff is out there, just needs to be found.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...n+fiber&page=3

+1
    Chopper has a carbon fiber 785 and i know Dave up in Canada said he has one stashed away .
    I love my 97 but i always liked the way my 00 rode

+1
    Oh I was just asking about it exlint89! No, im not gonna race it in the finals. geez,,Just wondering if anyone has lightened their hulls. Yeah i'd hate to come down hard and crack a hull 4 miles offshore and start taking water on. But could you imagine a hull that weighs in like 340 lbs? insted of 400 plus. Is that giant anchor for the engine needed too? couldn't you just cut it in 3 pieces and ditch the center. all it does it prevent you from getting the bolts you drop under it! Make it like the pro mounts. hell, My sl motor was running with the boltscompletly out of it! Found that out after I took the motor out and was wondering where the bolts were. Iuse to own a 14 foot checkmate looking boat. its hull was 1'8 inch thick with a 150 outboard weighing 400lbs off the back of it with a monster torque prop! It was a sherrifs engine from a auction. the ass end was 4 inches off the water and it could beat any jetski on the lake! I'd blow them away so hard they would come along and say damm, that thing is quick!. lol although while jumping waves and getting a lot of air-time, you could hear the hull flexing and making noises when it landed hard. I got scared and foamed the entire boat with 87 cans of foam (home depot clearence. .50 can instead of 6.00) Don't get that on your body! nothing but 80 grit takes it off. I ended up glassing the entire inside of the boat with roven. It didn't budge after that! Heres a pic of the boat before I put the motor on it. Just got done doing a white gelcoat job on it. It wasn't fast,but QUICK! 50 mph was top speed but you'd get there as soon as the boat came down. about 3 or 4 seconds. That was a fun little boat.

Hmmm. never Raced a pro785 though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting motor after putting clean heads and gasketson.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	160463  

+1
    Chopper huh? >>>Don't even think about it.lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information