+1

98 SLXH no spark

I just bought a 98 SLXH and I'm not getting any spark. My battery is new and while I am cranking the motor it is staying between 11.5 and 12 volts. I checked all grounds and everything appears good. I disconnected the black and yellow wires, checked to make sure I was getting 12 volts to the cdi and also checked that voltage was leaving the cdi via the brown wire and its about 8.5 volts. I also checked the readings from the stator and they are all close to specs. Is there something I'm missing here. I was going to go ahead and get the update kit but before I spend the money want to see if anyone has any more input on how I can futher troubleshoot this problem.

how do you know you are getting no spark ??
    telling us everything you have done or tried lets us know whare to go next .
    did you pull the plugs while cranking ?? are the plugs new ?? what color are they ?? wet ??
    old gas that won't burn ?
    you just got this ?? was it running before ?? previous issues with old owner ??

+1
    I have a jumper wire that I have hooked up from the plug to ground so that I will be able to see any spark coming from the plug. I have never run the ski and the guy I bought it from said he could not get it started this season. I am not getting any spark while cranking so that it where I'm at.

I just did the update to my '96 SLTH. It is not to bad but there are a few challenges. I did it with the engine in-place and there is not much room to replace the stator. I had a lot of working with a mirror to find the bolts. I moved the gas and oil tanks back to allow the room needed for the flywheel puller. I did the "stuffing the mag cylinder with nylon rope" trick to hold the crankshaft to remove the flywheel bolt. I borrowed a flywheel puller from an auto parts store and pulled it as tight as I could, then took a torch and heated it since I did not worry about damaging the old stator, it came off after about 30 min. The toughest part was removing the Phillips screws that holds the stator to the engine, they must use lock-tight. Since these screws are recessed I don't know what you would do if you round them. (I did round them on my SLT780 and was able to get a needle nose vise grip in to get them off) I used a hammer impact to finally get them off, reaching with one hand to hold the impact in place and reach with the other holding a hammer to hit the impact (tough). The rest was just reassembly taking great care to get all of the wiring and ground connections right. It would of been a lot easier to remove the engine but didn't have the alignment tool. Good Luck.

Thread Information