+1

Couple Questions on FZR/FZS Ride Plates, Sponsons, and Air Intakes

I haven't been on in a while but I'm trying to develop a game plan for next season. I definitely want to add sponsons. I was leaning towards the Jet Draft sponsons due to lower cost and I have heard good things about them. If you have any opinions one way or the other, let me know.

Next I was thinking about getting the R&D ride plate but have not heard any reviews on it yet. If anybody knows anything about it, let me know.

Next I was thinking about going with the Jet Draft Air intake. Right now I have an R Rated intake which is taking air from the inside of the hull. It works good but water is very calm where I ride and I feel that I would benefit from taking outside air. Any opinions would be appreciated.

If you have any other ideas for me, I'm all ears. I want to hit 85, or at least close, and then I will be happy. So I need another 5 mph. Help a brother out.

I have the JD sponsons and I have mixed feelings about them...
    They are awesome for choppy water and wave jumping but when cornering hard on flat water, they let go earlier than the stock sponsons and the back end comes around. They are much cheaper, and I'm told they give you a small speed gain as well.
    Check my build thread for more info.

+1
    I just installed the r&d plate today. Overall I am very happy. Unfortunately it was quite warm and I also forgot to not fill the tank up so I could get an accurate test( the buzzer was going off for the last run). I installed the plate with the stock spacer plates(required according to r&d) and 0 shims. With a full tank and about 15 deg warmer I picked up .6mph compared to the stock plate with the plates removed and .090 shims in the front and .40 in the back. Now being that my test friday morning it was less humid and 15 deg cooler with the fuel buzzer going off so I probably will pick up 1.5mph in similar test conditions. From what I have read here the plate is good for about that when compared to a shimmed stock plate and around 3mph compared to the stock setup. I gained almost 3mph trueing the transom plate(see jerry's build thread) and trueing the hull and grate. I would start there. Also for my ski personally it runs consistently .5 mph faster with the trim all the way up.

+1
    Are you going to try to shim the R&D plate to see what else you might be able to get out of it?

As far as sponsons go, which ones appear to be the best? I don't race and the water conditions are relatively calm. I ride on the rivers of Pittsburgh.

Has anyone noticed an increase in rpms with the Jet Draft Air intake compared to other aftermarket kits?

+1
    Also, has anyone tried the Frozenboost Type 13 Intercooler setup the way that JD1 does it? I have the Type 19 now and it works ok but I have heard that the Type 13 done his way can gain me some more boost and rpms. Its not too much to do so I may give that a chance as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    Also, has anyone tried the Frozenboost Type 13 Intercooler setup the way that JD1 does it? I have the Type 19 now and it works ok but I have heard that the Type 13 done his way can gain me some more boost and rpms. Its not too much to do so I may give that a chance as well.
    His kit will be out shortly I think. I don't think he just stuck a type 13 in there and rolled with it. It required some tweaking to get the results he wanted.

Ride Plate & Sponsons

Hi ercboosted,

I have put the R&D sponsons on and R&D ride plate... (think the sponsons have come down on price recently)....

With the FZR sponsons I found it absolutely carves and tracks on rails when cornering... in there lowest position...
    Found stability and ease of riding greatly improved in the rough with the two mods...

I installed the R&D ride plate and am am happy with the results (speed & handling) on smooth river water or mild chop.
    With no washers top speed was 72.6 mph with quarter of a tank of fuel - 2 mph increase
    However on the river, with low fuel, I experienced some porposing (moderate which you could lean forward over the steering and reduce) so I fitted two washers to the rear of the ride plate.
    No more porposing at low fuel levels but speed reduced to 71.1 mph. All round a better option.

But in the rough at speed I am experiencing a bow high condition which makes it lose hook up ... really frustrating.. will try an add another washer to the ride plate (total of three) to try and keep the ski down in chop.

Recently I rode next to my ski and noticed it sits on its rear with the front in the air much more than the FXSHO's... In 1 foot or more waves it was consistently leaving the water.

Thoroughly recommend the R&D ride plate for smooth water but need to test some more before I would recommend it for rougher water...
    Will also test back to back with a standard FZS to see if it is the ride plate or my ski
    Cheers
    Ed

Thread Information