Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SLXH accelerator pump??

Help! I replaced the engine in my SLXH 1050 early in the summer. At the time, the accelerator pump also needed replacing, and none was available for this model since it's no longer made, so the repair shop substituted one from a 750 because they were told by a dealer that it should work. Well, the engine failed again a couple of months ago and the short block manufacturer determined the cause to be the accelerator pump from the 750, which they said didn't pump enough fuel and caused the carb mixture to be too lean. Fortunately, the engine was under warranty and was replaced a couple of weeks ago. But now we have the same problem: no 1050 accelerator pump.

The ONLY thing preventing me from getting my ski back with a brand new engine in it is not having a freakin little accelerator pump. I've searched eBay and online but no luck. While searching, I found this great site which I've been enjoying the past couple of weeks, but I can't post in the classifieds yet because I've not been a member long enough. So, if anyone has a suggestion of where to look for a 1050 accelerator pump, you'd make one frustrated PWC owner very happy! Thanks.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk,They are still avalible,are you talking accel, pump or fuel pump?
    Check here for new Polaris parts.
    http://www.polarispartshouse.com/

Maybe Beerdart can move this to general disscusion, Thia area is mainly for rare and one off parts. If you need to buy something before you have enough post for classifed,just post there.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk

The accelerator pump on these keihin carbs will only pump when then throttle is moved ( usually when depressed from closed throttle)(you will see a stream of gas in each carb)
    At steady throttle,it will not pump,and should not cause a mixture problem-causing engine damage.

The accell pump really has 3 parts (refer to #15 in picture)-pump housing(part of jet block)-pump cover-diaphram. The working part is the diaphram,it should be the same as a Kawi.

In my experience,when the pump goes dry (happens on my carbs after sitting over the winter) it does not like to refill.
    With engine running,I use a screw driver to push the pump plunger in (all the way in-further than normal travel) This allows the pump to fill with gas,after doing this 1-2-3 times ,my accell pump will work all summer.

There is also a small ball bearing/check valve at each squirter that can get stuck.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

wtf??

yeah i installed a super duty goofus valve in place of regular valve,yeah that super duty goofus valve is what killed it,funny how IF you mention something like this it automatically becomes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Welcome to Green Hulk

The accelerator pump on these keihin carbs will only pump when then throttle is moved ( usually when depressed from closed throttle)(you will see a stream of gas in each carb)
    At steady throttle,it will not pump,and should not cause a mixture problem-causing engine damage.

The accell pump really has 3 parts (refer to #15 in picture)-pump housing(part of jet block)-pump cover-diaphram. The working part is the diaphram,it should be the same as a Kawi.

In my experience,when the pump goes dry (happens on my carbs after sitting over the winter) it does not like to refill.
    With engine running,I use a screw driver to push the pump plunger in (all the way in-further than normal travel) This allows the pump to fill with gas,after doing this 1-2-3 times ,my accell pump will work all summer.

There is also a small ball bearing/check valve at each squirter that can get stuck.

Thanks to the three of you for your comments. What the service shop showed me was that when they were pressing the throttle, gas was only dribbling into one carb and they found that trash was blocking the flow (this was an accelerator pump that they had installed back in May). But even when they cleared the blockage, they said that the pump still wasn't delivering enough flow. They surmised that it was because they had gotten the pump from a 750 since no 1050 pumps were available, and since the 750 has only two carbs, this pump just can't generate enough output, and that's why the ski bogs down on the lowside, when the accelerator pump is usually doing its job.

To answer your question Keddano, I'm talking about the accelerator pump that shoots fuel into the carbs upon initial acceleration. I checked with the shop a couple of days ago and they've still been completely unable to locate an accelerator pump for a 1050. Since they're not manufactured any more, I just have to get lucky and come upon a new one. Just crazy that such a little thing is completely preventing me from being able to enjoy my jetski with a brand new engine. Killing me.

My two cents would be the accelerator pump is not causing the engine failure. It could definatly be causing the low end bog (likely for that matter). But am more inclined to think the carbs were adjusted too lean or partially blocked to begin with. Many (probably most in fact) 2 stroke engines are manufactured without accelerator pumps and they survive. As someone already mentioned the accelerator pump only functions when the throttle is moved with in the grand scheme is little compared to sustained wot. Correct me if i'm wrong but the 750 was three cylinders/three carbs. The 800 was 2 cylinders/2 carbs.

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk! I'm in Cary and ride at Jordan Lake all the time. What shop are you taking your ski to? The AP didn't kill your engine. I may have one on an extra set of carbs...I'll check today.

+1
    The parts manuals show 2200732 was used on all 2&3 cylinder domestic engines from '96-98.
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Advanced...ncedSearch.asp
    The pump for all Single and tripple carbs from 99 -04 is still available 2201309,

I didn't know they made 2 different pumps, in a couple days-I'll take a look to see what the difference is.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

pump

the diagphram is the same the output is determined by the cam thats matched to the triple carb setup

+1
    Find a new shop... NOW.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information