Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

factory pipes on gp800r 2001

hi all' any help with this Q would be be great im trying to save my ski season before its even started, thanks in advance .cheers. my friend has 2x factory pipes , im thinking of getting them and putting them on a gp800r 2001 that is completely stock, what mod's will i have to do to engine/carbs?? or can i just add pipes and make some small adjustments for them to work??
    Last edited by wavedemonx; 11-24-2009 at 09:34 AM.

bump!
    would like to know too!

IF you want its full potential out of the pipes
    Then
    Head OEM cut or aftermarket at least 150psi
    Reeds
    48mm Carbs its going want LOTS OF FUEL
    OEM T/w crank highly considered!!!!!!! your going to be spinning very high RPMS
    if you have a high time top end then New pistons rings wirst pins clips
    and the prop and may want an aftermarket ignition with adjustable timing
    So after all said and done couple of thousand!!!

ok cool' so i just cant put the pipes on the ski and adjust the carbs to suit?! .thanks for info

Well, you can, but as he stated above - if you want the full potential out of the pipes, make the suggested mods. What these pipes will do for you is open up the back end of the motor allowing far more air to cycle through the engine. To take advantage of that, you could make the mods to dump far more fuel/air into the intake to make far more horse power than a stock exhaust will allow. When you consider all an internal combustion engine is is basically an air pump, you can only push so much air through it at the intake/exhaust flow will allow. If you put massive carbs on and dump huge amounts of fuel into the intake without opening up the exhaust, you are just wasting fuel and the engine will not run right because you now have too much fuel for the amount of air you can pump through the engine. All a Factory Pipe setup does, is relieve the exhaust side, or open up the exhaust side so that the intake side can be bumped up - the more air/fuel you push through an engine, the more power you will make.

Will you see some gains in performance with just the pipes and no other changes? Sure, some, and it may not run so well since you have relived the back pressure the motor is looking for to run correctly in a stock situation. It you get the pipes, you would be best to get them and save them for when you can add some performance on the intake side, too.

That's my $.02. In this economy, of course, my $.02 is only worth $.00012.....

understanding there is a lot involved. here was an idea i had: get a pair of 2005+ cylinders and pistons (so not to have any powervalves) get aftermarket heads for them, the twin pipes (anyone know which ones to use? logic would say use the two front ones as there is room in the front). a set of bigger carbs? what's the potential there?

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    Your going to want PV on a 800cc gpr.

Put R&D valves on if your worried about breakage, they swear that their PV wont break.

The 05 cyliners off of a 1300 are totaly different porting than the 800's you actually want the 800 cylinders. Some guys running tripples were using the 800 cylinders.

Jeeps........good luck trying to get an 800 to do 70 MPH with only $1500!!!! Its gonna cost alot more than that..
    Also the 1200 hull has different motor mount locations than the 800 engine. So I hope your really good at doing body work because the hull will need to be cut up to accomodate the smaller engine mount locations. Lot of work ahead of you!!

i believe a goal should always be set before one begins on an adventure for a project. With the thought in mind that the parts acquired can always be turned around and resold should the plan not meet it's goals. Resources are abound to find what parts are needed used or new. A little bit of fuzzy math, and counting only parts that actually goes on the ski, not the total cost of all the experiments that is bound to happen, and that the left over parts can be sold to balance such said fuzzy math.. one may just be able to achieve the goal as set.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information