Drain Plug O-Rings

I put my boat in the water last Friday to do some performance tests on my latest mods (see signature). I found that I was making a bit more water than I have historically. At the end of the day, or more accurately, my fuel, since I was running pretty hard, I found that I had a gallon or so in the bilge. I've normally just had a few drops unless there was a lot of spray.

I found that the o-rings on both of my drain plugs had cracked and separated allowing water to leak in. I was looking at the drain plugs because at the first cold snap a few weeks ago, a mouse apparently got into my boat. He gnawed through the port side engine vent and the starboard drain plug retainer. I found the drain plug lying on the floor in my garage with the retaining legs gnawed off. Looking at it, I noticed the o-ring was separated. The other untouched plug was the same.

I have an old plumber's o-ring kit and found the o-rings were an exact match for the "R-212" size in the kit (0.10 inch band with 0.80 inch OD). I think the old and new o-rings are both natural rubber, judging from the way it cracked.

I've got a new grate and plug on order from Jerry.

If you've never checked those o-rings, you might want to. You also might want to keep a mouse trap or some rodent poison in your boat...

Thanks,
    Jim

RATS !!!!! And I was worried about winterizing!! Yea, a freind of mine had a new 4 wheeler in an old shed and those little devils chewed up his wiring harness. They must not be to bright (the rats), since they can't tell the difference between food and plastic. By the way, I see you're from Baton Rouge, where do you ride around here? I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by lashk View Post
    By the way, I see you're from Baton Rouge, where do you ride around here? I'm Keith.
    Mostly at False River or on Blind River. I'm always looking for good places. One of the nicest I have been to, but hardest to get to is Lake Mary up in MS. Where do you ride?

I've winterized twice this year and then pulled the boat back out ...

Thanks,
    Jim

Your boat looks great! I love the Le Di, I think they are beautiful.

I noticed in one of your other posts you mentioned a local dealer. Alex Stirling went under shortly after I got my boat last year. I've been going to Lafayette or N.O. Where are you going?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RightOnTarget1 View Post
    Mostly at False River or on Blind River. I'm always looking for good places. One of the nicest I have been to, but hardest to get to is Lake Mary up in MS. Where do you ride?

I've winterized twice this year and then pulled the boat back out ...

Thanks,
    Jim
    We've been to False river but spend most of our time at the tickfaw, amite and tchefuncte rivers. Lake Marpaus is fun if the water's not too rough. We're going to Percy Quinn this spring and Fountainbleu in the summer. I'm never heard of Lake Mary but willl look it up. I would really like to go up to some of the lakes in Tenn. I've been using St. Tammany marine. I bought my boat used in Destin last Nov. at Legendary Marine and on the second time out the crankshaft bearings blew. I was sick and Legendary was no help. I had St. Tammany marine reuild the engine and it has run great. Mike, the owner, seems to be an honest guy and will do you right.

Have you put up for the winter? I was thinking about going out this weekend again.

Thanks,
    Jim

+1
    I don't know if this will work on the SeaDoo drain plugs, but it works for my Kawi JetSkis. I replaced the damaged O-rings with garden hose washers. They are flat and can be tightened a lot more without damage. No more leaks!

Thread Information