Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thermostat Question Help

What is the purpose of the round plate at the bottom of the thermo. that divide the reserve tank and the oil cooler. when you look inside your thermo housing. does any one out there running with out a thermo? with out any problems

+1
    the plate provides restriction in flow to ensure proper coolant circulates to all the channels, specifically the oil cooler.
    and also doesnt flow too fast to allow for optimum heat transfer.
    HOSS tried running without a Tstat installed and damaged his engine.
    i am speaking from what i recall reading on here not from personal knowledge.
    however i did alot of searching on the subject when i was trying to upgrade my tstat, wether to do a 160* mod or a 131*mod. you can do the 160* yourself for about 20bux, i could never find a 131* tstat that was compatible, so if you wanna do that one you gotta buy the $300 kit...
    i did the 160* and saved 280 dollars.
    seems there is now an open loop kit availalble, but for the rec rider its more trouble than its worth.

so with that said is wise to say that if you cross the oil cooler antifreez line with the reserve tank you will blow the head gasket. Not on your first time out but over time depending on how hard you ride especialy when you are running at WOT to chek Your GPS speed. Since the flow of the coolant has been change by the acidental swich of the hoses. Am I on the right track or lost in space? Thanks for your help Guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seawoolf View Post
    so with that said is wise to say that if you cross the oil cooler antifreez line with the reserve tank you will blow the head gasket.
    You will puke coolant out of the overflow tank leading you to believe you have blown a head gasket.

This is a very common problem after people replace their thermostats, they get the hoses crossed over.

The overflow coolant hose goes on the front fitting on the side of the thermostat.

The hose from the oil cooler goes on the rear fitting on the side of the thermostat.

OK jerry ...This was my find the hose coming from the oil cooler was in the port closest to the engine block and the reserve tank on the port closest to the back of the sky. This is what you telling me is the correct install. The reason I said my were backwards is cause I look in the repair manual and shows that I have them install backwards. And if there were conected wrong will this be cause to a head gasket fail due to incorrect coolant flow? The flat washer at the end of the thermo.divides the two ports in the termo housing wich lead me to belive that this was the cause for the H/G to fail. am I on the right track or lost ?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

+1
    If the hoses are connected wrong and you kept repeatedly riding, you will blow something. However you will go in limp mode real quick.

+1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    the plate provides restriction in flow to ensure proper coolant circulates to all the channels, specifically the oil cooler.
    and also doesnt flow too fast to allow for optimum heat transfer.
    HOSS tried running without a Tstat installed and damaged his engine.
    i am speaking from what i recall reading on here not from personal knowledge.
    however i did alot of searching on the subject when i was trying to upgrade my tstat, wether to do a 160* mod or a 131*mod. you can do the 160* yourself for about 20bux, i could never find a 131* tstat that was compatible, so if you wanna do that one you gotta buy the $300 kit...
    i did the 160* and saved 280 dollars.
    seems there is now an open loop kit availalble, but for the rec rider its more trouble than its worth.
    I can`t say for dead certainty, but no thermo should not cause a prob. I ran mine quite hard without one. After the back flip attempt I`ve had problems since. Still running no thermo. I think I slightly bent something.

+1
    OK, after much more reading, the thermo delete may be not letting my OIL COOLER work properly? Is this right? Because now it overhates quick! And my valve cover gets hot as a sum biotch! But my puke tank isn`t hot. Is this my prob with overheating? That my oil cooler is not able to cool the oil and not so much as not the coolant. Makes sense! Maybe with my mods the oil is getting hotter and won`t cool.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    OK, after much more reading, the thermo delete may be not letting my OIL COOLER work properly? Is this right? Because now it overhates quick! And my valve cover gets hot as a sum biotch! But my puke tank isn`t hot. Is this my prob with overheating? That my oil cooler is not able to cool the oil and not so much as not the coolant. Makes sense! Maybe with my mods the oil is getting hotter and won`t cool.
    It's like lextoy said. Now your coolant is moving through the system much faster cause there is no restriction. So this means that the coolant cant absorb the heat from everything properly. So yes, that's why your engine is running hot but your surge tank is cooler. I'd put the Tstat back in pronto!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat Jay View Post
    It's like lextoy said. Now your coolant is moving through the system much faster cause there is no restriction. So this means that the coolant cant absorb the heat from everything properly. So yes, that's why your engine is running hot but your surge tank is cooler. I'd put the Tstat back in pronto!
    Pronto,,,lol,,,its been out since `05, lol. Its going back in, at this point I have nothing to lose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information