Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Let's Get Into it - Oil in Coolant

there are VERY few threads and instances and people on this forum that have ever seen or experienced oil getting into the coolant...

right away everyone jumps in and screams head gasket.... not a single one of those skis have been rectified with a new head gasket... at least none of the ones posted on the forum.

sometimes coolant gets burned off, leaks, pukes out of the expansion tank, combustion in the coolant..... those are different scenarios than getting oil in the coolant... and good circumstances to lean towards a head gasket.

there are a couple unsolved mysteries still with people battling the problem and have yet to figure it out. I had a customer with one of them, and i flat out told him it's gonna be cheaper to swap out motors than it is to put it on the clock and pay by the hour for diagnostic time.... he agreed and we swamped out the motor for a used one i had laying around... and I have his sitting around for a long time that i never did anything with.

now i have another customer with the same problem.... i can watch the oil level slowly drop jsut flushing it on the hose, and i can slowly watch the coolant become contaminated, let it sit and let the oil rise in the system, remove the oil from the coolant and continue running it and watch the oil level drop more and the coolant become recontaminated.

the head gasket is not the problem... i pulled the head, thoroughly examined the gasket, saw no breaches between the high pressure oil galley and the coolant.. replaced with a new gasket. checked the water pump seal and pressure tested the oil cooler. changed the PTO gasket... put the motor back together and same issue.

rustysearustydoo has the problem on his ski and he has gone thru new head gaskets, new PTO cover, etc trying to find it with no luck.

a blown head gasket typically will puke coolant because you get combustion pressure in the coolant system... there's very few places on the head gasket for high pressure oil to get into the low pressure cooling system.

going through a 4-tec... for oil to get into the coolant but NOT vice versa....oil pressure higher than coolant pressure would be behind the pressure pump through the water pump seal (for which there is also a weep hole on the side of the cover in the event the seals fail, so u'd see coolant or oil from the weep hole)... in the oil cooler... through the head gasket where the oil pressure goes up to the head next to the head bolt in the corner of the head kinda near the coolant cavity of the block... failed PTO cover gasket as the coolant passage and passage out of the pressure pump are next to each other....

so if every one of those components checks out OK or has been replaced and issue still persists..... i'm claiming a crack in the block or the head somewhere.... that's my verdict

any other input from some individuals that really know these things inside and out?

i have both motors i'm putting on the bench tomorrow and i'm tearing them both down finding what they both have in common. going to start making jigs and plates to block off everything and start pressure testing all the different passages in the block and head to see if i can find where the oil is squirting through. The first one i wrote off, now that I have two of them it's just bothering me and ruining my sleep.

is something staring me in the face that i'm missing?

+1
    My first thought was oil cooler as I see you mentioned. Have you pressure tested it yet? I assume you have since you are tearing it down.

+1
    yes... pressure tested oil cooler AND replaced it with a used one from a perfectly running ski

+1
    My first thought is that you are a bitch. Good to see that you are doing well in your business. Sorry to hijack, but what the hell, I haven't talked to you in a while.

+1
    Is there any way to leave the coolant jacket intact and try to pressurize it? Then go around the block with a mechanics stethascope(sp?) an listen for the hiss?

+1
    You could also use dye in the coolant, pressurize it and when you tear it down look for it.

+1
    My bad... Didnt read the whole post...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    You could also use dye in the coolant, pressurize it and when you tear it down look for it.
    was definitely thinking about that.... been looking into the UV dye kits they have...

if i pulled the thermostart off and put a open loop plate on the PTO cover and plugged the holes and sealed the motor... i could probably pressurize the block and cap off the coolant line on the head

+1
    Uv dye kits for A/C work on cars is a blessing. Makes it very easy to find the leak

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    My first thought is that you are a bitch. Good to see that you are doing well in your business. Sorry to hijack, but what the hell, I haven't talked to you in a while.
    that's one of the more polite things i've been called

give me a call sometime! or hold that thought till winter when i'll be holding my member in my hand for a couple months waiting for spring and business to start again

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information