Unhappy Just purchased a 1995 SLT 750.. Questions

I purchased a used '95 Polaris SLT 750 2 weekends ago. I sent it to the shop to have it checked over, and fix some issues with the trailer.

I have 3 problems I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1) I am trying to find a owners manual for it. I can find a PDF version online for the 2003 model, but nothing for the older PWCs. Does anyone have an electronic version of the owners manual I can read? At least the specifications and the operating procedures?

2) We had it in the water for the first time today, but for the life of me, I couldn't get it started. There is plenty of fuel, oil, and the fuel switch was set "on". The previous owner said to "pump the choke 20 times, then try and start". I would have thought a manual choke would be used to hold open while starting, and then release? Anyhow, over a one hour period, we succeeded in draining the battery. I'm sure it was flooded, but how to clear it?

3) I don't know how to read the LCD display. I know one set of numbers is speed, and another is hours, but the mode and set button functions are unknown. Presumeably the owners manual would have info... See #1.

I'm ready to buy a service manual if needed, but I would think that it would be more focused on the technical information, rather than the newbie sort of information I need.

Can anyone assist me?

Can't help ya on #1 but...

#2: If you're "pumping" something it would be a primer, not a choke. Check to see if the choke plates have been removed and a primer installed. If it's still a choke, then it's something you hold closed until it starts up. Did the ski run before you bought it? IE, did you get a test ride or anything? First thing to check is spark, see if you have any at all. If you're flooding it out while cranking your plugs will probably be wet, if they're dry you're not getting fuel.

Try this next time, if you have spark, dump a little bit of fuel (like a thimble amount) into the throat of the carbs and see if it fires right up.

#3: The MFD settings can be found here: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10930

And welcome, this site is where you will find ALL the Polaris experts.
    Last edited by javiert99; 08-27-2006 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Dave WELCOME to the forums!!!

E-mail or PM john Zigler , he has a lot of the older stuff and probably has a manual floating around.
    Certainly pull the plugs and replace them, Like Javier stated, verify spark and determine if you have choke flaps or a primer.
    Check your compression while you have the spark plugs out and make sure the engine is O.K.
    I'd also try to start the craft out of the water (just for a few seconds) so you get the "feel" for how your craft starts.
    Let us know how you make out!!

OK back to basics,
    Did you have the safety lanyard attached to the cut off switch?

Great info

Hello again,

WOW. I only posted the question last night, and already I've had assistance from 3 people. Incredible, thanks!

The link to the LCD display info is great, I'm studying it now.

We did have the safety lanyard attached, but I have to admit we forgot about the fuel switch at first (remember I'm a newbie ; ).

We did take it for a test drive when we bought it, but the engine was hot then, so it started right up.

The spark plugs were replaced at the shop so they are new, but I will remove the spark plugs to see if they are wet (resumeably yes, because I likely flooded them).

As for starting out of the water, won't that harm the engine? I had wanted to try and run it before launching it, but I was worried about cooling.

Thanks again, I'll try these suggestions!

Nah you can get it running for a few seconds with no water flow, won't hurt anything. I don't think I'd leave it running for more than 15 seconds though.

It started!!

Thanks for the help all.

I checked the carb and it was a choke plate (like I suspected). The old owner must have had pretty foul plugs.

I might have had an air bubble in the fuel line, because it took a couple of attempts after dripping raw fuel in, to run smooth.

I brought it to the beach, and it started fine.

Now, I dont know if this is normal, but when the PWC accelerates, it seems to go at a certain rate until the throttle reaches a point, then it really takes off. The throttle cable seems smooth, so the only thing I can think of is that the hull has begun to plane, rather than push through the water. Or maybe there is a problem with the throttle.

Thanks for the assistance, but would anyone have a comment on the throttle?

+1
    At what RPM's are you experiencing this jump in speed? More than likely you are just feeling the engine coming on the pipe, wait until you feel that with a tripled piped boat. You'll empty your wallet in the quest for more speed. LOL

Thread Information