Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2006 RXT stalling at idle after an hour of use

Just this year my RXT has been acting up. After about an hour of use, when I let off the throttle to idle, the engine starts to sputter out and it feels like it is going to stall. I have to get on the throttle to make sure it doesn't. I can coax it to a safe idle around 1600 RPM or so, but it sounds awful and doesn't idle smooth. Every time I am not comfortable with the fix. The fix is to shut off the ski and restart it. Then it idles correctly around 1800 RPM.

I am getting frusterated as my dealer thinks I am nuts as he cannot duplicate the issue (for obvious reasons). Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a fix? I did a search but could not find a similar thread. Thank you in advance.

+1
    Have a look at your idle air control or throttle position sensor.

Yeah, take out the IAC and give it a clean inside.

Could be cruddy petrol too don't forget.

I'd go the petrol way first.

+1
    Those are good ideas. Also, something cheap to do and try, if you haven't done already try putting new spark plugs in.

+1
    +1 on the sparkplugs,you have all the symptons of bad plugs.

+1
    +3 on the new set of plugs. You would be surpised at how many issues are solved just by installing new plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by govenatorx View Post
    Just this year my RXT has been acting up. After about an hour of use, when I let off the throttle to idle, the engine starts to sputter out and it feels like it is going to stall. I have to get on the throttle to make sure it doesn't. I can coax it to a safe idle around 1600 RPM or so, but it sounds awful and doesn't idle smooth. Every time I am not comfortable with the fix. The fix is to shut off the ski and restart it. Then it idles correctly around 1800 RPM.

I am getting frusterated as my dealer thinks I am nuts as he cannot duplicate the issue (for obvious reasons). Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a fix? I did a search but could not find a similar thread. Thank you in advance.
    Welcome to the forum!!!

+1
    I cannot thank you all enough. I was getting worried, but your solutions are sounding good to me. While I am not that handy under the hood, I will do what I can to pull the plugs and other parts to see if all is well.

The problem started happening at the end of the season, so it sounds correct that the plugs could be fouled up. Thank you again and this forum will become a must visit on a daily basis!

+1
    UPDATE!

I just started up the ski this year with new plugs (after blowing out the fogging oil with the old plugs) and still got the same problem. I am in the process of pumping out all of the old gas and replacing.

I am not familiar with the Idle air control and throttle position sensor. I am not very experienced with this. Any picutres showing where they are? I assume on the intake, but don't know what parts of the intake we are talking about. Thanks.

+1
    I have never had that problem on the RXT's, but we ride all year long.
    If your ski is sitting in storage for months at a time (sounds like it is) then you definitely want to start with fresh fuel, and you might want to start using a fuel stabilizer like STABIL. We use the red formula in our boat and we always get perfect starts; for example, we didn't use the boat for an entire year in 2009, but this spring it started right up. You can get this stuff at any Wal-Mart, here's a link:
    http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information