Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

951 Idle speed on hose

Just wondering what A good idle speed for my xpl with a 951 is on the hose?

Also when Its running and i Pop the hood to see whats happening under their it slowly dies out is this normal :S

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    3k out of water. And it shouldn't die on it's own ever, no matter if you open the hood or not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    3k out of water. And it shouldn't die on it's own ever, no matter if you open the hood or not.
    Big +1 on both points.

Losing Rs and dying when you open the hood is a WTF and may indicate that your throttle cable is out of adjustment.

Before you do anything to your idle make sure your throttle cable is set right.

On the '99+ 947s you have to set it in stages.

First, at the carbs. Back the idle screw off until it is not touching the striker plate on the throttle shaft of the front carb. Then loosen the two jam nuts on the end of the throttle cable (where it goes into the plate that is bolted onto the front carb). You adjust the cable tension there with those two nuts. One will make it tighter, one looser.

You want to set your cable so that the carbs are fully closed with the throttle lever closed. There will be a little slack in the cable at this point (very little, but still there). You can not get that slack out and if you try you will just be opening the carbs. That little bit of play will have no effect on your Rs at WOT since opening the throttle plates a few more mm will not give you any more Rs.

When that is set tighten the jam nuts (not too tight, that cable is easy to break).

Now you go under the hood to set the play at the throttle lever (thumb/finger, whatever you have). There is a plastic thing (for want of a better term) with a jam nut against it up there right under the upper glove box. Pull the glove box out and you will see it (it may be under some wires and such but it is there right along side of the steering cable).

To adjust it you loosen the jam nut and then turn the plastic piece (it has a grip type surface, you may need pliers to hold it while you get the nut loose but after that you turn it by hand). Now, it is kind of strange in that it turns opposite of what you expect. But, since stuff spins backwards down there you should be ok .

You want to set the lever to have a bit of play off the base. I put mine at the thickness of a Nickle coin (it is like three or four mms, I think). Again, being super tight will NOT give you any more Rs. What it will do is screw up your idle setting and strain that rather expensive throttle cable.

Once you have the right play tighten the jam nut up and the throttle cable is set.

With the flush hose turned OFF, do the following.

Now go back and set the idle speed. I like to take the screw down until it just touches the striker. Then give it one full turn (two swaps of the "T", just like the carb adjusters). Try to start it (it probably will not). If not, give it a half turn and try again. Repeat this until it does start.

Once it does the idle will be low, barely running. Give it 1/4 turn in (more RPM) and shut if off. Now you can get the hose ready.

Start it up on the hose as normal but with your water set to just barely squirt at the pisser). You may need to tinker with it a bit as it warms up (the idle will slow a bit). Let it get warm (about 1.5 -2 minutes) before you set your idle speed at 3000.

When you get it to the water you will want to do a final idle set In the water to make sure it is where you want it. I like my XPL between 1450 and 1500 (on boats with reverse I set them a little lower). Once it is set in the water you are good to go.

Good writeup and description by the Krunch!

Here's some more info. Getting the slack out is critical. If you don't, idle speed will be impossible to set, and will run above 3000 RPM. The 3K point is critical with these engines, as they will start to runaway around that point due to the lean off-idle setting on these engines. Some mechanics set the idle to 2800 to ensure the engine won't runaway on the hose.

I've never had one runaway at 3K, but have seen one runaway at 3100.

oil pump

If you are running the oil pump and not premix after your idle is set make sure that the two lines on the oil pump and the linkage are lined up with each other at the idle setting, otherwise your engine might not oil properly.

Great explanation Krunch!!

Have a great turkey day

Krunch to the rescue once again.... Ill print this put and give it a crack

Whats the best way to tell if the carbs are closed completely? Im not gonna pull the carbs to do this just the small plastic air fedders and air box....

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidafa View Post
    Krunch to the rescue once again.... Ill print this put and give it a crack

Whats the best way to tell if the carbs are closed completely?
    Per Krunch...your answer "First, at the carbs. Back the idle screw off until it is not touching the striker plate on the throttle shaft of the front carb"

The carbs' butterflies will then be closed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhjesse View Post
    If you are running the oil pump and not premix after your idle is set make sure that the two lines on the oil pump and the linkage are lined up with each other at the idle setting, otherwise your engine might not oil properly.

Great explanation Krunch!!

Have a great turkey day
    While it is never a bad idea to check your oil pump index (lining up the two marks) on the '99+ 947s changing the cable setting at either the carbs or the throttle will not alter the postition of the oil pump cable.

This is because of the design of the TPS type throttle cable.

Sea Dood makes a good point about idle speed. I like 3000 on my XPL as it starts and runs best at the setting but then it is also running a 95 pilot jet (Proks, no accel pump). I have the GTX and RX set at 2800 because they are easier for the wife to pull the reverse at that speed, and the overall performance is a little better at that speed too (starting and idle, that is).

I have never had a 947 run away on the trailer, but then, I have always had my idle speeds in this range too.

Kid,

Robert answered the question already but I just wanted to stress that when that idle screw is all the way off you need to have the throttle cable loose too (at the bracket). If it is already too tight you can back the screw off and it will hang on the cable.

You can check this by pushing the striker plate closed. If it is hanging it will rotate when you push it (move the plate towards the screw) and push slack into the cable.

Always check that you are bottomed out after setting the cable at the carbs since it is real easy to open the carbs up while trying to get that last bit of slack out of the cable. If this happens you may get a nasty little surprise when you go to start it the first time (as in it will shoot to the moon even though you only have one turn on the screw).

As Sea Dood said, you do not want any EXTRA slack in that cable, but there will be a small bit of it. If you try to make it a guitar string you will be sorry.

Once the cable is set check your opening at WOT. As long as the top of the butterfly is under the booster venturi you are good. Like I said, you can maybe get a few more mms of plate movement but it will NOT give you anymore RPM.

I Didn't say it would change it. Just said to check it because sometimes the cables can slack a little before resetting that might change it.

I like to be thorough

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhjesse View Post
    I Didn't say it would change it. Just said to check it because sometimes the cables can slack a little before resetting that might change it.

I like to be thorough
    Never a bad way to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information