FXHO oil consumption

Just got back from the lake. I decided to take my brothers FXHO cruiser out for a ride. Oil light comes on and it goes into limp mode. Have her towed back to the dock and check the oil, none showing on the stick. It took 2 quarts of oil! This ski has 103 hours and is on it's third season. It has had very little use this summer and the oil was changed by the dealer when he had it winterized. This ski gets about 30-40 hours per riding season. It looks like this years 30 or 40 hours burn't 2 quarts of oil. Last year I had to add oil 1 time, about a half a quart. I can see it is getting worse. This is ridiculous on a ski with a little over 100 hours, it 's gradually turning into a 2 stroke. I asked the dealer if they have trouble with these ski's burning oil. "Well ahhhh no, well ahhh the guys that run them a lot have to add oil once in a while but ahhhhh let us know how much oil it takes and ahh don't fill it to the full line or it will waste a $100 air filter". 2 quarts got it between the low and full lines, gotta love it.

Looks like rings or valves

+1
    Pimply lad at Stealership didnt put oil in after sucking it out at service ????

Did you see the oil as normal level then over 30-40 hrs see it vapourise ?

If thats the case compression check, if its burning that much oil. Highly improbable but not impossible.

Any oil in bottom of craft from corroded oil filter because its original (after 10 hrs service) 3 seasons ... ??? A few filters have corrosion holed over time becasue they were not rinsed of salt well enough.

I know an FX that burns some oil ... 1/2 qt every 25 hrs or so ... has 1600 hrs on clock ..one with 632 hrs is 1/2 qt every 40-50hrs.

My 05 had 140 hrs not measurable between changes (50hrs and new filter each time) and my current ones the same.

Regards
    Anthony

We have a '03 FX140 with over 200 hours and minimal oil usage, if any. Regarding the $100 air filter. Toss it and get the Riva Power Filter. Never plugs up and breathes much better.

I'm not here to bash the HO, in fact I love it. The handling and rough water hook up are the best I've ever seen on a stock ski and the power delivery is awesomely smooth. Just wondering if anyone else is having oil consumption problems.

+1
    PM Bill Cosca

He has a rental business and I remember reading him talk about oil consumption problems.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO
    PM Bill Cosca

He has a rental business and I remember reading him talk about oil consumption problems.
    Yes, I've seen his posts on the Riva forum. Bill claims the 4 stroke Yamaha's become 2 strokes after 100 hours.

I remember seeing a post every now and again on oil issues but no significant # of posts. Definitely curious to hear if there is a trend. My wife is looking at upgrading here 140 to an HO but if there is a problem, maybe not. Like I said, we have made over 200 hours without any significant issues.

I htink that Bills rentals are the VX110, don't know if any are Ho's.

+1
    i have 4 rental units we service ,when ging up in hr.-260-300 hr few of them starting to use oil why?after take one apart most time stuck rings

what to do change oil & filter every 50 hrs and use the good stuff
    allso stuf call sea foam works great
    but that just me

later cd
    Last edited by chip; 08-28-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Thread Information