Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rust on Intake valves

I took off my intake manifold tonight to place a hose clamp on my oil cooler (clamp broke off) and noticed some rust on intake valves. I have not ridden the ski for approx 2 months now. It appears to be superficial. I ride in salt water and thoroughly wash out and lubricate the entire compartment, but nothing to the intake system (no throttle body lube tube). Should I be worried about this or will this all go away with the next "ride"? Ski is 06 rxp with riva s3.

+1
    Rust on the back of the valve is tolerable but getting rust on the valve stems is not good. It can cause the valves to bind in the guides and break. You really shouldn't let your ski sit up that long. About once a week or every two weeks crank it up and run it for 20 seconds or so.

just makes me wonder if the valves look like that, then what does the rest of the engine look like? as far as surface rust on cylinder walls etc.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Spraying "Fogging" oil in the T.B. when its winterized is ok for a few months right?
    i need to know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Spraying "Fogging" oil in the T.B. when its winterized is ok for a few months right?
    i need to know

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    i need to know
    You spray fogging oil in the intake and fuel injectors to keep rust from forming. Thats its purpose.

+1
    some fogging oils are more foamy, they are good for fogging intake/valves via the fuel injectors or spark plugs, or down the throats of the carbs(if you are running old skool 2 stroke still)
    i found another fogging oil by kawasaki, that is very fine misty spray, that is ideal for fogging intake via the SC or TB. it is a fine mist and will suck in with the air, while the foamy kind just sorta glops up and pools, doesnt get sucked thru the system.
    you will know its getting into a running engine when the idle gets real rough or the ski stalls!!! that is ideal sign that fogging oil is making it in. so is the extra smoke that smells kinda sweet.
    some skis are easy to fog via intake, some easy via plug holes, 4tecs are easy via the injector ports. or some combo of the 3.

Guys, just my .02 cents on this topic. If you intend or forget to crank your engine for a long time. Here's what I do. I open up the top of the engine by taking the spark plugs off. I spray Sea Doo oil in the the cylinder. I let it soak. Cover the open holes with a towel. After an Hour, Crank it with the Towel on top of it. (it will absorb the oil on compression mode) The good thing about this procedure is, There is no real compression pressure inside the cylinder = Very smooth, non-aggressive exercise of the cylinders and rusty valves in non compression mode. I am a salt rider. Always put yourself in the "Engine's" point of view. Did I make sense?
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 11-30-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Fogging

aMakes sense Jammer 1. I do ride in salt water as well. Usually our skis, don't sit that long, but schedules didn't permit us to ride as well as we did some maintainence (supercharger rebuilds, oil changes, and some mods). It really makes me wonder if fogging shouldn't be done routinely maybe once a month to make sure that in case we don't get to ride we are protected.

+1
    In those conditions it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to fog after every ride. Wondering if you couldn't spray fogging oil directly into intake area to keep SC wheel and I/C from corroding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information