Driveshaft too far forward. Can't seal Carbon ring.

Ok, I got my ski running with a new cdi. This is a 96 XP. I went to put the pump on tonight and thought I was going good, but when I finished and went to pop in the c-clip for the carbon ring, I noticed some trouble. The groove for the c-clip was way forward and the stainless piece wasn't even covering it. Usually you have to really slide the sccordian boot back just to get the clip in. I actually need to have the accordian boot come forward. What the heck happened? Both rubber driveshaft bumpers are in. And I only have one Idea of what it could be. When I putthe pump back in, I started by putting the shaft into the pto so the splines fit perfectly, and then I slid the pump on and aimed the driveshaft into the cone on my solas. Do you think the splines on the impeller didn't line up onto the drivesahft, and now the shaft is pushed forward an additional length, which would be however long the splined area is. If my descriptions are confusing, let me know and I'll take another stab at explaining it. Thanks, Charlie

+1
    that would be my guess the impeller either not lined up or two much grease in it and pushing the shaft forwards.Been there with an RXP

Yup, I figured it out. Everything is perfect on the impeller side but on the pto side of the shaft, the ruber bumper was torn apart and went in sideways. I should have bought new ones anyway. So basically I had no bumper in the pto end of the driveshaft. Would that cause the shaft to be too far forward? Thanks, Charlie

Do you think it's my prop? I have a solas concord 15/23. Do you think it is longer than my stock prop?

Ok, I figured it out for good this time. The rubber nose cone was to thick and wouldn't allow the splines to go in all the way, so I heated up the tip of the cone with a match and pressed it on to my cement floor and it flattened out a little. So now the cone is shorter and the splines go in perfect on both sides. Thanks guys! Charlie

Thread Information