Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mono

Mono

Hey guys, just went to the doctor on tuesday and found out I have mono and strep throat. So... Its friday and my throat has gotten worse. The doctor said the only thing you can do is sleep. Well im not even that tired and I wake up like 10 times during the night cause my throat hurts sooo bad. What do I do? Is there anything that helps? How much longer is this urghhhhhing throat gunna hurt? Thanks for anyhelp.

SAME thing happened to me!!!!.. I didnt sleep for days until I got vikatins... tell your DR. the pain is imense.. Pain killers really did help and I did sleep... I didnt want to take the "steriods or w.e. they want to give you... Take some vikes... im tellin u... It will get you through this

thanks man, I had some vikadin laying around... but I really hate taking them haha... I may take one before I go to bed at night. The thing that is killing me is it couldnt have come at a worse time. I have a speech to give monday and tuesday at college. And then the week after is finals... urghhh!

Gargle salt water every 15min or so. Another trick I have heard (haven't tried it myself) is to use a salt shaker and put salt directly on the back of your throat and leave it there as long as you can. Then wash your mouth out with water. Hopefully that helps the sore throat some.

+1
    Got mono back in college. Miserable, and it takes several months to completely recover from it. Even after the initial sickness goes away, you will find yourself getting tired rather quickly. Just ride it out, bro. It'll get better with time.

thanks guys, I'm feeling a little better right now than in the morning. Ive tried gargaling, that doesnt seem to help. My throat is like pure white. It sucks big time.

+1
    good old fisherman's friends. I go thru them like candy but do work good

http://www.fishermansfriend.ca/products.html

Man mono sucks and I've had strep more times than I can count. I hope ya feel better soon. The whole salt water trip works, but only temporarily since all you are doing is creating a hypertonic solution to pull some of the fluid out of your cells reducing swelling and thus reducing pain. Problem is it that it comes back quick. What I found worked well for me was just chew gum, especially fresh pieces. The saliva you create when you chew it helps kind of form a layer over the back of your throat and cut down on the pain. Always seems to work well for me, hope it works for you. Hope you kick that bug soon man! Just rest whenever ya can.

thanks for the info guys. I will have to try gargaling with salt water again and see if that helps. I have never seen or heard of those fishermans losenges. I will see if they have them here in the U.S.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaserxp215 View Post
    thanks for the info guys. I will have to try gargaling with salt water again and see if that helps. I have never seen or heard of those fishermans losenges. I will see if they have them here in the U.S.
    i always find them in the drug store by all the cold and flu stuff.... the Original one a very strong but work the best. I always go for the cherry one as they tast way better. they should have them in the us as there sold all over the world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information